Possible to upgrade camera on Phantom 3 Standard?

Reaction score
Got myself a standard recently. Loved it, but I wish the camera could be a bit better. I am planning to buy a goPro 4 with a gimbal for better video recording but I am unsure if it is possible.

Even if I manage to attach the mount, I am not sure if the gimbal dial on the controller would work without messing up with the hardware. Tried to research online with no avail. Anyone with a knowledge on this?

You can attach a GoPro camera to your P3, but the camera cannot be used with the Phantom gimbal and/or DJI GO. Nobody makes a gimbal replacement that's compatible with GoPro cameras either.

I haven't had a chance to mess with the gimbal yet, but I do notice a few wires running from the drone and I wonder if it's possible just to unplug those?

Do you happen to have any resource where I can look more into it?

You cannot unplug them and connect them to the GoPro gimbal -- if that's what you mean.

I mean in order for me to mount the GoPro, I will have to take off the Dji gimbal and camera. I see a lot of wire connected to the gimbal so I just wonder if those can be unplugged easily so I can put the GoPro mount on.

Ah. I don't know how your Phantom is going to react if you do that. I'm assuming you'll see some errors pop up in the DJI GO app and you will most likely no longer be able to install firmware updates.

Ah. I don't know how your Phantom is going to react if you do that. I'm assuming you'll see some errors pop up in the DJI GO app and you will most likely no longer be able to install firmware updates.
Man I hope someone will figure out a way to. I dont want to buy a whole new Phantom just to upgrade the camera :(

I haven't had a chance to mess with the gimbal yet, but I do notice a few wires running from the drone and I wonder if it's possible just to unplug those?

Do you happen to have any resource where I can look more into it?

I know this post is old but I recently had to replace my quad with another of like kind Phantom 3 standard and in doing so, I had to remove the camera to attach to the replacement and it was not difficult at all. There are screws underneath the drone, Two on the right and two on the front that will allow you to remove those little covers and ever so gently with tweezers unplug those wires. The Gray plug with 6 wires comes off by gently pulling on it. As far is attaching a go pro I have no idea but I would just stick with the camera it came with because it is pretty Dang good. View your Photos and videos on your PC after SD removal for the true quality. Cheers

You wish the camera could be a bit better? Like how? The P3S already shoots video in 2.4K HD. That's more than enough for watching on 99% of the phones, tablets and computers most people would see it on. Maybe it's my 50 year old eyes but I really can't tell the difference in 2.4 and 4k unless it's on someones 60 inch widescreen TV. I shoot most of my videos in 1080p and am more than happy with them. Seriously, if you want something with a better camera why even bother with a P3S and not just get a P4P or a Matrice with a professional camera installed?

Reactions: WWI Flying Ace

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl