Possible to obtain longer videos while perched?

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
Is it possible to land a P3 on a flat surface (such as the top of a tall building) and allow it to perch there with the props turned off while recording video? An application would be to obtain longer movies by saving battery power while perched. Apologies if this question indicates a lack of experience by a beginner.

don't see why not

It can be done. However, I'm betting the actual application is extremely limited. Half of your view would be of the ground the Phantom is sitting on.

The view wouldn't be limited if it's perched near an edge. The application that I have in mind would be to monitor an area for birds. It would help to be able to record for, say, and hour. I will do some experimenting, but I don't know if there could be problems with this approach. For example, can you shut down the props and keep recording video? Could there be a problem getting it to restart and fly back at the end of the recording session? An obvious concern would be that a gust of wind could cause it to fall or tip over and become stranded.

You can keep recording, start/stop recording while the props are stopped. We've shot lots of video carrying the P3 for specific shots that flying isn't practical or possible.

You'd have to be careful about metal on the landing pad, obstructions above/beside, proper line of site and also signal strength. Also I don't know if an SD card is available that will allow the P3 to record an hour of Video.

I recorded 9:20 of 4K video that only amounted to 4.2 GB. So it seems that an hour should fit on a 32 GB card. At present, I am only contemplating the possibility of using this approach. One of the ideas that I have in mind is to mount perches in certain spots. The idea will be to fly the drone up to perches as an alternative to climbing up.

Reactions: BarryP

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj