Possible problems (flyaways)

Re: Possible problems

dirkclod said:
I had posted something on this and all I got was a Pfft :shock: Might or Not effect ya it depends on your location and where it hits .

Pfft :shock:

Might or Not effect ya

it depends on your location and where it hits.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

But seriously, there is quite the chance that it will affect us Phantom operators.

I have no idea whether it affects Phantoms or not. But I'll error on the side of caution.

By the way... whether or not the k-index is really something to worry about... this thread could certainly benefit from a little of this kind of love:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25045

ProfessorStein said:
I have no idea whether it affects Phantoms or not. But I'll error on the side of caution.

By the way... whether or not the k-index is really something to worry about... this thread could certainly benefit from a little of this kind of love:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25045

Well, I too am err'ing on the side of caution... especially since it will apparently affect our GPS satellites (and I mostly fly in GPS mode), as well as other radio transmissions. Though earlier articles on other flares said WiFi isn't supposed to be affected, NASA disagrees on this one, and claims it WILL be affected - the current flare is supposed to be as bad or worse... so, controlling the copter may be an issue.

With a loss of both GPS and control link, the P2's will auto-land wherever they happen to be at the time. With only one, it's probably not a serious issue that can't be recovered from (unless one hits 20% battery with no GPS on the new firmware - which will auto-land wherever the copter is).

HarryT said:
You might want to look at the date on that article: 11th August 2013.

NASA disagrees on this one, and claims it WILL be affected - the current flare is supposed to be as bad or worse

I realized the ambiguity of my sentence, and updated it shortly before you posted. What I meant was "on this flare on this day, NASA thought GPS *and* WIFI would be affected - the current flare is supposed to be worse (thus I'd expect the same).

Apologies - my misunderstanding.

I went out flying this afternoon (UK time) not knowing about this , and didn't notice anything abnormal. Solid GPS lock with 11 sats.

UK and Thur come and nearly gone....current index is 1

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

HarryT said:

I went out flying this afternoon (UK time) not knowing about this , and didn't notice anything abnormal. Solid GPS lock with 11 sats.

+1 - I flew 30,000 mAh today (Three flights of around 20 mins each) pretty much back to back.

No issues whatsover and solid lock on 9 sats.

HarryT said:

'Ignorance is bliss'. ;)

But seriously there's way to much paranoid worrying going on these days.

I have never paid attention to this K stuff and never had any problems.

I guess it's human nature to need an answer to everything (fly-aways) so we humans cling to anything we feel can be associated to explain unexplained behavior.

For me it's statistics... fly enough and chances are something will happen eventually.

Not looking to insult or argue... just go fly!

RobertMfromLI said:
I realized the ambiguity of my sentence, and updated it shortly before you posted. What I meant was "on this flare on this day, NASA thought GPS *and* WIFI would be affected - the current flare is supposed to be worse
(thus I'd expect the same).

What's confusing me is there hasn't been any sort of follow-up (that I can find) from NASA as to whether that previous flare in 2013 did affect GPS as they predicted.
The pessimist in me says that's because they were ultimately proved incorrect, but...

ProfessorStein said:
RobertMfromLI said:
I realized the ambiguity of my sentence, and updated it shortly before you posted. What I meant was "on this flare on this day, NASA thought GPS *and* WIFI would be affected - the current flare is supposed to be worse
(thus I'd expect the same).

What's confusing me is there hasn't been any sort of follow-up (that I can find) from NASA as to whether that previous flare in 2013 did affect GPS as they predicted.
The pessimist in me says that's because they were ultimately proved incorrect, but...

Yeah, now that you mention it... hmmm...

Alas, I can't fly until Sunday, anyway... so, since it should be hitting Friday and Saturday, I guess I won't know.

I'm seeing a K of 5 here in the UK this morning (Friday).

A high "K" value won't stop you from getting a GPS lock; it'll just (possibly) make the GPS position less accurate, so it may have a 5m error rather than a 2m error.

ionospheric disturbances which cause radio and radar scintillation, disruption of navigation by magnetic compass and auroral displays at much lower latitudes than normal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik