Positive Responses ...

Reaction score
I just wanted to add a couple recent positive experiences I've had in regards to flying my Phantom 3 Pro quadcopter.

Yesterday I decided to fly a couple batteries since they had been sitting fully charged a few days. The location is a popular hiking spot, near several private homes, a trail-head, a state park and wilderness in the Tucson area. Complicated if addressed directly during flight.

During the first flight, an older guy walked by on the trial while I was flying. Out of respect I told him I could land and stop flying while he hiked the trail. He said, "Oh no, that's ok... looks pretty neat." So I invited him to see the view from the quadcopter on the tablet. He was really impressed and shared a story about his friend who is a meteorologist and uses a quad for S and R after tornadoes hit. The second guy simply loved the technology;

In both cases I offered to land the quad while they hiked the location, but both guys said it was OK to fly.

So, my 'take back' is that I am always upfront about what I am doing and am willing to stop if it bothers someone. If they are OK with me flying I will make a point of sharing with them the technology, explaining how it works, what I am doing, and showing them the live screen on the tablet.

Here's the video:

Please share your positive responses here...

Reactions: byrne68 and Reed L
I think people are generally tolerant and curious of drones ...

On my and my drone's maiden flight, done in a newbie mode with 30/30M restriction, I flew over the dunes on the beach's edge. One guy spotted the drone, started taking pictures and waved to it. Unfortunately, I could not wave back as the drone was bouncing off its flight space limit.

Drones are like a murder trial. Some think he's innocent - others think he's guilty.

People seem to have a predetermined love 'em or hate 'em relationship. All we can do is be respectful and polite and hope for the best until the trial and appeal is over.

So far I have had only positive experiences. I am sure a negative one is coming but in over 100 encounters with people, most just enjoyed watching the flight, like watching someone fly a kite.

Back over Thanksgiving weekend I met a couple off of Palm Coast Florida that were taking selfies on the beach as I was flying, I offered to take a shot of them and send it to them, we have since become acquaintances.

Locally I was shooting pictures of a recently burned historic building in the aftermath and the insurance adjuster came by, I offered the video to both them and the fire marshal, both were thrilled and said they wish they could easily use one in their profession but the 333 stuff scared them off and they were happy a hobbyist was generous.

I have had a ton of teenagers think it's cool and a number of other adults "want one." In all cases I suggested they go buy a UDI818A or SymaX5 and read, learn etcetera. I think as we educate ourselves and others, it helps the drone perception.

Prior to the insane 30 NM NFZ, I often flew around the marina and had lots of boat shots on the water and made friends and some others bought quads in the process.

So there are some positive responses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik