Portrait of the Mission

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
In Santa Barbara, CA. I've been waiting for some sunrise or sunset clouds for a while, but I settled on a mid morning blue sky. P4P 2.0.

mission1.jpg

That's lovely. I am from Ireland but I lived for a while in the 1990s in California. Memories of another time.

Please tell us the model number and the camera settings for this beautiful shot.

I can but that data is useless, as every scene is unique, and none can be accurately replicated. I know I was at f8 and probably 1/500th. On bright scenes I typically under-expose by -0.3 to -0.7. I set focus point on the mission towers, the center attraction here, but at f8 most all will be in focus. I used my Phantom 4 Pro + v2.0. No filters. I used Photoshop to crop, and straighten the vertical architecture, then a levels layer for contrast, a bit of shadow recovery and a tad of saturation. I saved a jpeg that was 1100 pixels wide before adding the matting and slight sharpening. I always let the drone hover for around 5 seconds or more to let it stabilize and stay as still as possible in the spot that I decided has the view I want to capture before tripping the shutter. In this case, at 1/500 shutter speed, that is not so important, but in lower light that requires a shutter of 1/60 or less, it definitely helps.

Reactions: Nick Mendocino
I can but that data is useless, as every scene is unique, and none can be accurately replicated.,,,

Thanks for the details. I consider them useful information even though every scene is unique. We can see from the picture what the lighting conditions were. I've been a pro photographer for 49 years and a drone photographer for four years.

Thanks for the details. I consider them useful information even though every scene is unique. We can see from the picture what the lighting conditions were. I've been a pro photographer for 49 years and a drone photographer for four years.

That's great to hear, Nick. Now I know you understand everything I said.

Last edited:
Amazing photo! I have lived in California for like 16 years, but I have never seen this place for real, only on photos. The composition and the colors on this photo are just incredible! I think that it would be looking even more magical during the sunset or the sunrise. This kind of photo do not need any kind of editing or portrait photo retouching. They are perfect just like that! I have always admired people who could take beautiful photos, as I could never do it, though I still think it is elementary.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffreyS
Amazing photo! I have lived in California for like 16 years, but I have never seen this place for real, only on photos. The composition and the colors on this photo are just incredible! I think that it would be looking even more magical during the sunset or the sunrise.

Me:

Thank you. Here is a dramatic morning over the Mission:

missionblueclouds1.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik