Poor Range with P3A

Reaction score
I've done a few flights now, and I've noticed that I've got pretty poor range on my P3A. I start getting a weak controller signal warning about 1/4 mile away. Is this normal with the stock setup?

Tonight, I had the Phantom 400 feet directly above my head and was getting the weak signal warnings from time to time.

RC was fully charged.

Reactions: rene van der meer
I noticed on my p3a also getting poor distance ... But I need to go somewhere with less interference and see how much different it is.

Don't forget the antenna position is extremely important

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

1. DJI recommends not flying directly overhead
2. Make sure your antennae are positioned correctly - if the P3 is above your head, the antennae should be parallel to the ground

I've done a few flights now, and I've noticed that I've got pretty poor range on my P3A. I start getting a weak controller signal warning about 1/4 mile away. Is this normal with the stock setup?
Tonight, I had the Phantom 400 feet directly above my head and was getting the weak signal warnings from time to time.
Here's something about proper antenna orientation:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Directly above you will always give you the worst signal strength as you just cannot get proper antenna orientation.

I'm still running 1.3.2 on the bird but there's no issues even straight up max height with the antennas pointing normal instead of up or laying horizontal. I wanted to test my signal with the antennas pointing 90° wrong and never had a problem straight up. I bought a K1 and took it out yesterday for the first time with this tablet and everything worked flawlessly as usual. The K1 was nice and it took me 6 months to break down and get a dedicated tablet. I'm staying at 1.3.2 because it works :)

Range depends where u fly. Some ppl who fly in super flat open areas swear they got 3 miles easy. But if your in a more urban area or forestry. U won't get much range with a stock setup

I think most noobs (no offense) are kinda disappointed with range right away - in most cases. I was. You gotta keep in mind that the range stated on the box is best case and stock. So your environment has to be perfect, and even then, you have to know at least something about to aim your antenna, even if it's a omni-directional linear stock antenna.

The range will come with time.

RC was fully charged.
Flying Twinkie, I had several range problems with new P3A's.
Happy Christmas with P3A number 4
I would recommend flying in the open field using optimal antenna orientation.
If the problem then still occurs you might have a defective RC or AC. You should then contact DJI.

Here's something about proper antenna orientation:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Directly above you will always give you the worst signal strength as you just cannot get proper antenna orientation.
Flying overhead is not optimal for reception, but if the antenna's are placed horizontal a height of 400 ft (130 m) should not be a problem.
Please keep us updated and good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31