Poor Quality Solder on Phantoms Or Not ?

Reaction score
Today I was speaking with an engineer at QuadcoptersUK.com as I was about to buy a Phantom 2. As I have read a lot of posts on the forum about Phantoms dropping out of the sky one of my questions was about the quality of the soldering. QuadcoptersUK are going to do the electrical work for me fitting an FPV solution and a DJI ISOD mini. The engineer sounded really surprised at my comment and asked what I had read. We discussed it but it was his opinion that the Phantom is a really well built quad. They are selling several a day at the moment and he had worked on many of them fitting upgrades and had not seen any bad solder joints.

He referred me to a guy on youtube called Bruce who has several very popular and respected RC model channels. Bruce reviews the Phantom internals. I had not seen this video before.

Anyway thought I would share as its worth a look and people may feel a little more relaxed.

I should just say that I am not in anyway seeking to dispute any reports of Phantoms becoming bricks in the sky.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22lSfIn_lHs[/youtube]

Shrimpfarmer said:
Today I was speaking with an engineer at QuadcoptersUK.com as I was about to buy a Phantom 2. As I have read a lot of posts on the forum about Phantoms dropping out of the sky one of my questions was about the quality of the soldering. QuadcoptersUK are going to do the electrical work for me fitting an FPV solution and a DJI ISOD mini. The engineer sounded really surprised at my comment and asked what I had read. We discussed it but it was his opinion that the Phantom is a really well built quad. They are selling several a day at the moment and he had worked on many of them fitting upgrades and had not seen any bad solder joints.

He referred me to a guy on youtube called Bruce who has several very popular and respected RC model channels. Bruce reviews the Phantom internals. I had not seen this video before.

Anyway thought I would share as its worth a look and people may feel a little more relaxed.

I should just say that I am not in anyway seeking to dispute any reports of Phantoms becoming bricks in the sky.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22lSfIn_lHs[/youtube]

Thanks for posting this!

I was impressed with mine when I first opened it. Having said all this it is a manual process, and whilst the skill of the workers should be at least a certain minimum standard to allow consistency there will always be human error with human processes - which is where quality control should catch things. Perhaps there was a bad batch, perhaps it was one worker, accounting for the cold solder reports that some have made...

It's good to see someone else's "guts" in good condition. . I have to admit, I also saw a few posts about bad solder jobs when doing research. As an engineer with a lot of soldering experience (even surface mount), I went in to check the quality of my Phantom 1.1.1 before my first flight. It looked a lot like his review, so I was quite satisfied. Hopefully, this is the norm, not the exception. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4