Poor Night Video -Help with Settings

Reaction score
This video clip shows a couple recordings made over a football field that turned out OK, then a week later, at a different field, the video was nearly unusable with a glowing appearance… Any suggestions on camera settings to get better results appreciated.

So I thought is was on "all auto" or default - it wasn't until I returned that I started really playing with settings to have something to go on. However, it sounds like your feeling is that I should make SURE that it re-sets to default before my next attempt. Any other thoughts? Is the first flight night footage about as good as I can hope for under these conditions with this camera? The daytime footage is just so crisp that it's a bit underwhelming. Thanks for any further advice.

This video clip shows a couple recordings made over a football field that turned out OK, then a week later, at a different field, the video was nearly unusable with a glowing appearance… Any suggestions on camera settings to get better results appreciated.
The big problem is the scene you are shooting.
The Phantom's metering system is having a hard time with a scene like this:
i-vqK6bTF-L.jpg

The meter is trying to set an exposure that works for the whole frame
Half the frame is what you want to show and half is pitch black.
And just to make it interesting there are two floodlights glaring out of the black.
You'll get much better results if you don't have such a big contrast in your frame.
Frame it so that the lights and dark area are eliminated and you'll be on the right track.
You could also try using spot metering rather than averaging. (touch the screen to show the app what you want it to meter for - but the big problem is the light/dark composition).

btw An ND filter isn't going to solve this problem. It's just like wearing dark glasses at night.

I did use spot metering, touched the screen at the 50 yard line asking it to "focus" on the center of the field. So… using the screen grab you've taken… Your suggestion to improve this the most is to raise up higher, move in closer to the field, and tilt the camera more or less straight down in order to try to remove the lights and dark background as much as possible? In the image here, I'm behind the bleachers, and about behind 2,000 fans… Was trying to keep a low profile, and not fly over anyone... But if it means capturing a better shot, I'll rise up from right in front of the band, thereby in front of the crowd too. Will also remove the ND filter, and go back to using the "standard issue" clear camera cover. Anything else? Any thoughts to the "BOSTON" halftime formation?? Is that about as good as I can hope to achieve in this type of lighting?

Absolutely need to take off the filter when shooting at night. The filters should only be used to reduce your shutter to 1/60, once you are at 1/60 and need to start increasing your ISO you should be removing the filter.

Meta4 and others, thanks so much for the valuable suggestions. ND filter removed… Back to the clear lens guard… Also framed my shot last night so as to eliminate the two large banks of lights. It was a steeper angle than I would have preferred, but the image results were MUCH better!! THANK YOU!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20