Poll the Audience

For first flight EVER - Auto Take-Off or Manual?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Thanks with this guys/gals. Just saw fedex man...charging my battery, then the RC...then IMU and Gimbal cal...then compass cal. then re-read manual...then try one of the two options...what do you think? I have read on this forum that some people have VERY unfortunate experiences on first flight with auto...please vote early and often.

I prefer auto take off. I make sure my Mod value on the compass is always around 1500 before EVERY flight. I like it to sit there for 5-10 seconds to make sure it's stabile. Then off I go. I've only had one fly away with auto take off and that was because I moved location and didn't check the value. It works fine. I don't ever worry about it as long as the mod value looks good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricky
Manual take off.....as a kid i was required to be able to read time on a "analog" clock before i could have a digital watch.....learn the beast before switching to auto modes imo...
"Knowing is half the battle"

Reactions: Alex_ and Tricky
I recommend the first ever (assuming you have zero RC experience) to be an auto take off. Under powered manual take offs can result in tipping over among some other undesirable effects. Once you feel comfortable, try manually taking off and landing.

Reactions: Tricky
My very first takeoff I was a bit too gentle on the throttle... Legs caught in the grass & the craft tipped over on its side and did a bit of grass trimming. (That's my only 'incident' ever, no damage).

Subsequently I used auto takeoff so as to demonstrate to myself a proper takeoff. Now I use manual takeoff and hand catch landing most of the time.

Manual take off is not hard. Full throttle to about 8 feet and let it hover. The only time I tried auto, the **** thing tipped over on it's side, then righted itself and took off.

Whether you push a button or flick a stick doesn't matter.
But here's some A grade advice for your early learning flights.
For learning, the critical thing is to practise in a large clear open area, well away from trees and buildings.
Flying close to obstacles is by far, the largest killer of Phantoms.
Obstacles are the number one enemy of quadcopters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31