POLL: 500 meter limit above take off vs AGL - does this hinder you?

500 meter (1640 ft) limit above take off vs AGL: Does it hinder you?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Everyone is aware (or should be) of the 400 foot above ground (AGL) rule. All DJI products have an absolute ceiling of 500 meters (1640 feet) above your take off point.

Many pilots do a lot of mountain and canyon flying. It is very easy to get limited flying up the side of a canyon or mountain with the 500m ceiling, while only 100 or 200 feet AGL.

I am also involved with tall building and tower inspections. Occasionally there are towers over 500 meters tall that we cannot inspect. This is very frustrating because this is a loss of $$.

My question to you is are you affected by the 500m ceiling and would an authorization procedure (similar to that already in place by DJI for certain flying zones) be of interest?

I'm at sea level, and so far, all of my flying has been at sea level for the most part, so no issues.

That said, and I'm only being honest as to what I feel. I do not think it is DJI's place or responsibility to code limitations within their product's software/firmware. They should simply state an accurate flight time, temperature limitation, and a service ceiling (or max altitude above sea level based on air density).

Nope not hindered

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Flying at 10350 ft altitude.

U need to trick the internal barometer by capping it. It thinks the altitude is lower than it is. Works for me. My lips are sealed.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Flying at 10350 ft altitude.

OK, 10350 that is above SEA level (ASL).... I'm talking above ground level (AGL). I have flown at 12,200 above SEA level with my Phantom 3P, but I was only 250 feet above the ground (AGL).

I'm talking about the reference to your height above the ground from take off.

OK, 10350 that is above SEA level (ASL).... I'm talking above ground level (AGL). I have flown at 12,200 above SEA level with my Phantom 3P, but I was only 250 feet above the ground (AGL).

I'm talking about the reference to your height above the ground from take off.

Sure and I regularly max out the 500m 1640ft limit but it's enough for me.

That said, and I'm only being honest as to what I feel. I do not think it is DJI's place or responsibility to code limitations within their product's software/firmware. They should simply state an accurate flight time, temperature limitation, and a service ceiling (or max altitude above sea level based on air density).

I would like to be able to set my own limits so that I don't carelessly fly beyond my comfort zone, but I don't think DJI should force the limits.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic