Police investigate drone spotted near top of Space Needle

Re: Police investigate drone spotted near top of Space Needl

To the individual who uploaded this video originally I'd like to say this - HA HA! What an idiot. He posted his video here, the thread has since been removed - I commented on the fact that I thought it was irresponsible flying, and low and behold, the cops have been in contact with him.

If he had permission to fly up to this, yes, it would be cool, but he didn't. Instead he recklessly flew hundreds of feet (518 to be precise) above a populated area and I am actually disappointed he didn't get more than a warning.

I know the people in the observation deck were never in any danger - that's not my beef with this. It's the poor saps on the ground below. If a phantom had a failure, which does happen, and it hit someone, they aren't living to tell the tale.

So to the individual that did this - you shouldn't have a phantom. I know a lot of folks here frequently say 'people like X ruin this hobby for everyone else'. Well guess what, we have a forum member who is just one such idiot, and I have no problem publicly berating you for your actions.

peoplemin the observation deck are more interested in the phantom that everything else... lots of people taking pics and video to the phantom. theres a blonde lady who sends a kiss... i liked the video, the take off and the landing, however i must agree with judderman.

people in the observation deck are more interested in the phantom that everything else... lots of people taking pics and video to the phantom. theres a blonde lady who sends a kiss... i liked the video, the take off and the landing, however i must agree with judderman.

and here's a story of one of these reckless drone pilots crashing near the thing... Oh wait that was a legally regulated *******!
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/ ... 327567.php
People have base jumped from it which would be more dangerous than a fricken Phantom.
Was it illegal though? Is flying close to 600 feet not allowed in Seattle? The police didn't seem to have a problem with it so why should you?

also pretty sure the woman in the green dress flipped the Phantom off instead of a kiss.

Why did the police talk to him then?

I do have a problem with people flying hundreds of feet in the air over populated areas, particularly. Remember the guy flying over NYC? Tell me that isn't risky.

The helicopter story is horrible, however I would have faith in a helicopter pilot any day ahead of a phantom operator. The heli pilot would have had many hundreds of hours of flight time, possibly thousands. He would know how to handle the heli in the event of a failure, to auto-rotate away from danger. Obviously in this case he wasn't entirely successful as both he and his passenger died, and a member of the public injured.

The cause of that helicopter hasn't full yet been determined (from what I can see anyway), so to call that pilot a ******* is unfair at this stage.

Anyway, I stand by what I said. Why'd the original uploader remove his video and post?!

Judderman said:
To the individual who uploaded this video originally I'd like to say this - HA HA! What an idiot. He posted his video here, the thread has since been removed - I commented on the fact that I thought it was irresponsible flying, and low and behold, the cops have been in contact with him.

If he had permission to fly up to this, yes, it would be cool, but he didn't. Instead he recklessly flew hundreds of feet (518 to be precise) above a populated area and I am actually disappointed he didn't get more than a warning.

I know the people in the observation deck were never in any danger - that's not my beef with this. It's the poor saps on the ground below. If a phantom had a failure, which does happen, and it hit someone, they aren't living to tell the tale.

So to the individual that did this - you shouldn't have a phantom. I know a lot of folks here frequently say 'people like X ruin this hobby for everyone else'. Well guess what, we have a forum member who is just one such idiot, and I have no problem publicly berating you for your actions.

Judderman is a good man, assuming the responsibility of protecting American People. That is very good. But don't you think if flying a plastic toy this small as a hobby requires a permission is too ridiculous ? A permission wouldn't make the toy-player more recked. What makes you think the man flying his $2000 toy is recklessly. I think he was very recked. Nobody will treat his $2000 asset recklessly, not even Bill Gates.

Judderman is worrying about the Phantom might fail and hit someone and might kill someone. Well, that is possible, even though not likely.
It is unlikely it will fail often, and even if it fails, it is not very likely it will hit someone. Even it hit someone, it might not kill someone. Even if it does end up killing someone, the pilot will assume all the responsibilities, just like traffic accidents happen all the time. I am sure the pilot knows that. But why does the pilot still do that. I think he must have been confident that the accident won't happen if he does it carefully, not recklessly, even though he can't guarantee 100% of no accident. But that is a tradeoff for fun, isn't it? If people's life is without fun, then it is meaningless.

If Judderman is the man who wants to save American lives, there are a lot more he can do than this. As we know that more than 100,000 lives are lost every year in traffic accidents. That's a big number, especially for American lives. What Judderman can do is lobbying the congress to write a law to limit all vehicles' speed to under 10 miles per hour. This law alone would save hundreds of thousands of American lives EVERY YEAR. It worths doing it. With this law in effect, I am sure the lives lost every year will be dramatically reduced to single digit !!!

But why America doesn't have this law yet ? I think it must be a tradeoff between lives and speed. It will be very boring if you can't drive faster than 10 mph.

The police were called because someone overreacted and said that the Phantom hit the Space Needle causing damage to private property.
If he had hit something or dropped it on someone or something then absolutely he should be charged and eventually some drone will doe something like that RC planes have been doing it for decades anyway.

Honestly I'd be more worried about the elderly driving behind the wheel of a car than a Phantom getting cool shots and if you think every pilot is skilled, trained and able to handle any situation then bravo for you.

We should be happy that we live in countries that a "drone" flying overhead doesn't want to kill us and is designed for recreation.

How much damage is a 1.3kg Phantom going to do dropping from 600 feet (certainly enough to break the gimbal). It's not aerodynamic so it's not like dropping a rock, sure the chances of it hitting someone increases with crowds but it's still a small chance and even then it might have the same force as a bird swooping to protect it's nest (which we have around here). Maybe it would crack a car windscreen (maybe a Mythbusters challenge).

Now some fun facts: (averages)
Sharks kill 5 people per year, roller coasters - 6
Vending machines supposedly kill 13 people each year, one more than fireworks
Fricking cows manage to kill 22 people per year
Dogs kill 30 while our pet jellyfish top off 40 people per year,
Inanimate hot dogs are impressively choking 70 kids annually,
the American black friday sales kill 550 people (debate over how sad this is, is ongoing)
600 people each year go too far with autoerotic asphyxiation
900 people each year are failing in how to survive a bicycle, while aeroplanes thin the herd by about 1200 each year (might be up this year)
Just under 2000 people are falling down stairs to their deaths,
hippopotamus claim nearly 3000 lives a year while texting while driving is gunning for number 1 with over 6000 per year having a 1 sided conversation,
lightning still going strong and getting 10,000 zaps in each year,
but the absolute best and I think most horrific problem facing the modern world, obesity is clogging over 30,000 porkers every year.

But by god lets stop flying our toy around taking cool videos...
Deaths by drone in the US - 0, deaths by drone in whatever country america is currently fighting - CLASSIFIED
I'm going to have to look up deaths by elderly...

TheloniousMac said:
The police were called because someone overreacted and said that the Phantom hit the Space Needle causing damage to private property.
If he had hit something or dropped it on someone or something then absolutely he should be charged and eventually some drone will doe something like that RC planes have been doing it for decades anyway.

Honestly I'd be more worried about the elderly driving behind the wheel of a car than a Phantom getting cool shots and if you think every pilot is skilled, trained and able to handle any situation then bravo for you.

We should be happy that we live in countries that a "drone" flying overhead doesn't want to kill us and is designed for recreation.

How much damage is a 1.3kg Phantom going to do dropping from 600 feet (certainly enough to break the gimbal). It's not aerodynamic so it's not like dropping a rock, sure the chances of it hitting someone increases with crowds but it's still a small chance and even then it might have the same force as a bird swooping to protect it's nest (which we have around here). Maybe it would crack a car windscreen (maybe a Mythbusters challenge).

Now some fun facts: (averages)
Sharks kill 5 people per year, roller coasters - 6
Vending machines supposedly kill 13 people each year, one more than fireworks
Fricking cows manage to kill 22 people per year
Dogs kill 30 while our pet jellyfish top off 40 people per year,
Inanimate hot dogs are impressively choking 70 kids annually,
the American black friday sales kill 550 people (debate over how sad this is, is ongoing)
600 people each year go too far with autoerotic asphyxiation
900 people each year are failing in how to survive a bicycle, while aeroplanes thin the herd by about 1200 each year (might be up this year)
Just under 2000 people are falling down stairs to their deaths,
hippopotamus claim nearly 3000 lives a year while texting while driving is gunning for number 1 with over 6000 per year having a 1 sided conversation,
lightning still going strong and getting 10,000 zaps in each year,
but the absolute best and I think most horrific problem facing the modern world, obesity is clogging over 30,000 porkers every year.

But by god lets stop flying our toy around taking cool videos...
Deaths by drone in the US - 0, deaths by drone in whatever country america is currently fighting - CLASSIFIED
I'm going to have to look up deaths by elderly...

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this ludicrous debate.

Those people on this board who are pushing for regulations/laws demanding no one fly anywhere there are people nearby and/or claiming a Phantom could kill someone need to get a grip. Ditto anyone who says not to fly over "private property." If someone wants to fly in an urban area and in the process passes over a business, house, or any other place owned by someone, in my opinion that should be their right, as long as there aren't crowds below them.

All this hysteria on the news isn't helped by those people on our board who agree that the Seattle police had any right to hassle this pilot. In fact, I'd say they almost sound like shills for whoever is responsible for this new wave of propaganda against our hobby.

Awesome video guy did a great job

The only thing I see wrong here is some really bad gimbal control.

He flew above 400 feet and flew over a populated area (the base of the needle and the Seattle Center complex are full of tourists). He violated FAA rules and city ordinances. The police were called by people in the Needle and the Space Needle staff as well. To quote Space Needle management: "We love people to take pictures from inside the observation deck! We do not like people taking pictures from outside the observation deck!" This wasn't the first Quadcopter to buzz the needle, and it won't be the last, but the management has made it clear that they will call the police each time they spot a quad flying around the edifice.

A few weeks before a woman looked out her bedroom window in her Belltown (near the Space Needle) high rise to see a "drone" with a camera just outside the window at 6:30 am. She snapped several photos and police were called. The camera was not pointed at her, but again, not something any of us would want to see outside our bedroom window 20 some floors up. It also made national news.

A few years ago Seattle Police spent a large chunk of money to purchase two Draganflyer X6 Helicopter Tech drones. They were to be used for hostage situations, and shared with local sheriff's departments for search and rescue. The plug was pulled on that program before it ever got off the ground. Citizens groups and privacy advocates raised such a ruckus that the city returned the drones and scrapped the program.

Seattle is not a UAV friendly community. And when we have idiots flying like this in our city it does impact me and every other RC hobbyist in the area. I can't even fly one of my small quads (without a camera) in the surrounding suburbs of Seattle now without getting yelled at or people threatening to call the police. And I don't fly over people, cars or homes but it still freaks the hell out of some people who are so frightened due to media reports over reacting to stupid people like this "amazon employee" that thought nothing of launching out his hotel window and flying over one of our city's most crowded areas!

Please fly responsibly (and **** I'd love to buzz the Needle with my quad!).

Well here's the thing... DJI have released their parachute system for the high end flyer which means they are working on it.
It may be very soon when the consumer Phantom Vision model has a built in parachute safely system... then what will people complain then?
It is absolutely being developed because DJI actually want people to safely buy then fly these things!
You know what else is being developed... obstacle avoidance, pretty soon the Phantom will have enough sensors and smarts to be safer than you can imagine.
It is happening but advances in the technology takes a few years.
Panicing the public with completely irrational fears will have a negative affect on any progress when the technology hits its stride.

If what this guy did was illegal then I would hope the police would have arrested him, otherwise they aren't doing their job.
Due to the irrational fear in the american public they advised him not to fly again in the city for the rest of his trip.
He didn't want to aggravate anyone so he complied but there was nothing legally stopping him doing the same thing again.

TheloniousMac said:
Here's the video he took...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqwwrG9-uX4
Pretty cool I think.

Great video....and he did nothing illegal. You couldn't even call this reckless endangerment. He's out the the SEA Control Zone and better yet, he didn't crash. Someone had to say that though to get police and media to react.

Good job. Lol!

Nice fly.
Some people can get out of the box, box insiders of course whining all the time.

also there was big event and media helicopter flew over peoples head, while children let bunches of helium balloons into the sky.
One Robinson 44 into the crowd or Phantom - Your choice. Third choice is "none", no cars, no phones, no people. Best option for all. Like Hitlers- no human-no problem.

GoodnNuff said:
He flew above 400 feet and flew over a populated area (the base of the needle and the Seattle Center complex are full of tourists). He violated FAA rules and city ordinances.

Stop the insanity!

There is not one FAA rule that precludes flying above 400' let alone precludes flying over populated areas.

You do a disservice to gullible newbs by spewing this pap on this forum.

What specific city ordinances do you think he violated ? Please provide specific and verifiable quotes.

Thanks.

GoodnNuff said:
He flew above 400 feet and flew over a populated area (the base of the needle and the Seattle Center complex are full of tourists). He violated FAA rules and city ordinances. The police were called by people in the Needle and the Space Needle staff as well. To quote Space Needle management: "We love people to take pictures from inside the observation deck! We do not like people taking pictures from outside the observation deck!" This wasn't the first Quadcopter to buzz the needle, and it won't be the last, but the management has made it clear that they will call the police each time they spot a quad flying around the edifice.

A few weeks before a woman looked out her bedroom window in her Belltown (near the Space Needle) high rise to see a "drone" with a camera just outside the window at 6:30 am. She snapped several photos and police were called. The camera was not pointed at her, but again, not something any of us would want to see outside our bedroom window 20 some floors up. It also made national news.

A few years ago Seattle Police spent a large chunk of money to purchase two Draganflyer X6 Helicopter Tech drones. They were to be used for hostage situations, and shared with local sheriff's departments for search and rescue. The plug was pulled on that program before it ever got off the ground. Citizens groups and privacy advocates raised such a ruckus that the city returned the drones and scrapped the program.

Seattle is not a UAV friendly community. And when we have idiots flying like this in our city it does impact me and every other RC hobbyist in the area. I can't even fly one of my small quads (without a camera) in the surrounding suburbs of Seattle now without getting yelled at or people threatening to call the police. And I don't fly over people, cars or homes but it still freaks the hell out of some people who are so frightened due to media reports over reacting to stupid people like this "amazon employee" that thought nothing of launching out his hotel window and flying over one of our city's most crowded areas!

Please fly responsibly (and **** I'd love to buzz the Needle with my quad!).

Absolutely idiot. Are you saying his flying above 400 feet near space needle endangers airplanes ? if an airplane coming nearby, which endangers it? Space Needle or phantom ? If some ground stuff is higher than 400 feet, why can't phantom ?

"What specific city ordinances do you think he violated ? Please provide specific and verifiable quotes."

Seattle Municiple Code 18.12.265 (There are three city parks surrounding the base of the Space Needle).

FAA and AMA guidelines/operating standards are that we fly below 400' AGL. Yes it is a guideline, not a law...yet.
FAA regulations require manned aircraft to remain 500' AGL at all times unless landing - 1000' AGL over populated areas. By generally operating 400' or below and always more than three miles from an airport, model aircraft and manned aircraft have coexisted peacefully for longer than I've been alive.

Now the FAA is working hard to restrict where we can fly after decades of ignoring us. Why now? Connect the dots...
We need to fly responsibly until this is sorted out. Each time someone flies in a manner that the public perceives to be dangerous and it makes the news, the FAA is taking note and will use these examples as ammunition against us.

Fact: Tourist helicopters do not "buzz" the Space Needle. They are required to maintain a 1000' AGL altitude when flying over the city and the needle.

Fact: The KOMO News heli that crashed did not drop from the sky. It crashed on take off from it's helipad atop the 6 story Fisher Plaza near the base of the Space Needle.

The ultralight community has done a great job of policing themselves and thus have remained pretty much unregulated.
UAV (quadcopter specifically) are doing a horrible job of policing themselves and it will bite us all in the ***.

Opwan, if it is me that you are accusing of "bashing" the list?
Please show me a specific instance where I've bashed a list member.
Thanks.

GoodnNuff said:
"What specific city ordinances do you think he violated ? Please provide specific and verifiable quotes."

Seattle Municiple Code 18.12.265 (There are three city parks surrounding the base of the Space Needle).

FAA and AMA guidelines/operating standards are that we fly below 400' AGL. Yes it is a guideline, not a law...yet.
FAA regulations require manned aircraft to remain 500' AGL at all times unless landing - 1000' AGL over populated areas. By generally operating 400' or below and always more than three miles from an airport, model aircraft and manned aircraft have coexisted peacefully for longer than I've been alive.

Now the FAA is working hard to restrict where we can fly after decades of ignoring us. Why now? Connect the dots...
We need to fly responsibly until this is sorted out. Each time someone flies in a manner that the public perceives to be dangerous and it makes the news, the FAA is taking note and will use these examples as ammunition against us.

Fact: Tourist helicopters do not "buzz" the Space Needle. They are required to maintain a 1000' AGL altitude when flying over the city and the needle.

Fact: The KOMO News heli that crashed did not drop from the sky. It crashed on take off from it's helipad atop the 6 story Fisher Plaza near the base of the Space Needle.

The ultralight community has done a great job of policing themselves and thus have remained pretty much unregulated.
UAV (quadcopter specifically) are doing a horrible job of policing themselves and it will bite us all in the ***.

Opwan, if it is me that you are accusing of "bashing" the list?
Please show me a specific instance where I've bashed a list member.
Thanks.

Thank you for admitting that you made up the bit about "violated FAA rules." You're halfway to the truth of the matter now.

The Seattle Ordinance is arguably inapplicable because that guy did not operate the drone in any park. He took off from his hotel room and only flew above the park. The FAA has jurisdiction sole over the airspace - not the city.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj