Police came around

Reaction score
Wasn't that an eye catching title :)

I invited them around and showed what the PV2 can do, they were very interested of course and the main question was "can a night vision camera be attached", I didn't know the answer and I was hoping someone would.

I also have an expensive dome camera that looks both ways up our street and have had the Police "visit" about four times now, we caught one guy who was X married to the lady three houses up the road, we caught him putting a 303 (or the like) bullet on her cars windscreen, I gave them the footage..it's always interesting and exciting living on the poorer side of town.

I also run Kronus 20x80 Bino's with a web cam looking up the street through the day, not much gets past this fella lol

Since the earthquake we have many recalcitrants walking the dark streets with intentions of no good

I do have an agenda with the police that you most likely have picked up on. So

yes you can
no you cant

thanks

MAYBE?......

What is the total weight of the camera and needed assessories in GRAMS? Not ounces, GRAMS. There is a max limit that the quad can carry. Anything over the limits can damage the motors and cut flight times big time. You can go to the phantom web site, look up the specs for the quad. That should give you a good idea if your project will work.

The short answer is yes. However, an IR camera small enough for the Phantom and good enough for what the Police would need can cost several times more than the Phantom itself.

Many of the FPV cameras commonly used on other multirotors (and sometimes the Phantom) are the same models used in those "dome" security cameras like you have. The cameras themselves are fairly small (around 2"x2"x2") and can even be setup for basic IR duty...but they aren't in the same league as the pro-grade FLIR cameras that cost thousands.

You might be able to modify a go pro with a IR lens.
All lenses have a IR cut to filter out the IR drying the day.
If you get a lens that does not have a IR cut filter the CCD in the go pro might be IR sensitive.
Use a Phantom 2 with a zenmuse gimbal and all the FPV hardware needed.
you will just need a go pro for day time use and one for night time use.

KG4MXV said:
You might be able to modify a go pro with a IR lens.
All lenses have a IR cut to filter out the IR drying the day.
If you get a lens that does not have a IR cut filter the CCD in the go pro might be IR sensitive.

Yep that's a common but tricky (or expensive) mod for the gopro, and for some FPV cams it's just a matter of switching the lens. If I were trying to set up a "night vision" Phantom, I'd use an FPV cam with an IR lens and also an IR flood like this: http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Round-Board- ... HEK7R7ZPKD

The useful range is limited to about 50m though, so you can't be flying too high.

The IR cut filter doesn't give you night vision (that I understand he is looking for) The IR cut filter let you see IR spectrum ( I have converted one of my Nikon camera to IR only by removing cut filter ,but to take night shot it needs long exposure time); I thing the camera must have really high ISO quality and that is way they are so expansive

I honestly think IR is out, my Dome cam VD120D has IR but I've set it up for colour mode 24/7, the street lights are good enough for it and I still get colour all through the night, IR is not good as it white-outs the faces.

So a top quality lens seems to be the go here

Thanks Jerry
Oi, so it looks like its all out of the question because of price, ah well.
KG4MXV, I honestly think IR because of the white-out isn't an option, It will still see people moving which maybe all that's needed

I didn't mention but I did supply the battery cameras to the deconstruction contractors that are demolishing the EQ damaged buildings, they were fantastic through the day but IR night shots were hopeless and that's put me right off, they were 12MP Outdoor Camouflage Wildlife Cameras.

Thanks,when I do a post I get no email etc if someone replies it all gets lost with new posts.

It makes one appear ignorant and non-responsive. I only found this by looking at "my posts" and that was only because I was bored this morning.

steveeds said:
Thanks,when I do a post I get no email etc if someone replies it all gets lost with new posts.

It makes one appear ignorant and non-responsive. I only found this by looking at "my posts" and that was only because I was bored this morning.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you are on, bottom left area is a button to subscribe to topic.

Could the question be more of a general one? Perhaps the officer wasn't referring to the Phantom but quads in general? If so, then absolutely yes. Imagine drones patrolling the streets and feeding intel to a home base. IR would be the first thing I'd ask for if I was in R&D.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20