PolarPro-Filter Calculator App

Reaction score
We just launched an app to help select which filter to use to get shutter to the sweet spot.
It would be awesome if we could get some early usability feedback on the app.

We would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback. The app is free to download and use:
iTunes: PolarPro-Filter Calculator-IOS
Google Play: PolarPro Filter Calculator-Android

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jeff

I just happened to pick up some of your ND filters today. Will definitely give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-G928V using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Android calculator speeds are too low as the P4 goes up to 1/8000 sec. in bright sun. ISO range is low for the Inspire 2 camera which I think goes up to 25,600 now, and the P4 Pro to ISO 12,800 (??).

fwiw.

The Android calculator speeds are too low as the P4 goes up to 1/8000 sec. in bright sun. ISO range is low for the Inspire 2 camera which I think goes up to 25,600 now, and the P4 Pro to ISO 12,800 (??).
fwiw.

Awesome thanks for the feedback, we actually took ISO off to avoid confusion, so V2 should not have ISO.
Although shutter technically goes up to 1/8000 you will never experience that, plus anything over 1/3200 is an ND64.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Actually my mistake, ISO is on there to make sure that you have that as a baseline.
ISO should always be at 100-400, never more than that, unless you are shooting at night (in which case, no filter is needed).

Appreciate the thoughts,

Jeff

I tried it, but I doesn't seem to calculate anything. If I hit calculate it only displays the filter I have selected. Am I missing something??

Reactions: Lucone
We just launched an app to help select which filter to use to get shutter to the sweet spot.

We would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback. The app is free to download and use:

Jeff
Just downloaded iOS version and gave it a quick look...seems pretty straightforward and saves doing math in my head which is always appreciated ;-)

will be able to test more when you guys ship the P4pro set...

Working on split ND set (all neutral .3-.6-.9) for the P4pros yet? (PLEASE ;-)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I thought it would use the phone camera to calculate a number and produce which filter to use. This kind of feature would be awesome since we don't have to launch AC in the air and adjust numbers on the screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, how to use the app? I chose some numbers and hit calculate, nothing happen.

The result of the calculation is displayed at the bottom: once you hit calculate you get i.e "No Filter" or recommended filter:

Example:
400 1/25 24 None = No Filter
400 1/400 24 None = ND8

The problem is the interface not being explicit that result was calculated, especially when result is same as current. This can be improved.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The result of the calculation is displayed at the bottom: once you hit calculate you get i.e "No Filter" or recommended filter:

Example:
400 1/25 24 None = No Filter
400 1/400 24 None = ND8

The problem is the interface not being explicit that result was calculated, especially when result is same as current. This can be improved.

Thanks RémyHeli,

But I would suggest that the app should use the phone camera to calculate a number and produce which filter to use. The reason is mentioned above.

Reactions: RémyHeli
Would be also more explicit reading "No Filter needed".

And maybe at the top a short description on how to use the app (or help section) would be nice/user friendly.

I tried it, but I doesn't seem to calculate anything. If I hit calculate it only displays the filter I have selected. Am I missing something??
The goal of the app is to get your shutter to double frame rate.
If you have a filter installed, enter the values into the app, and it says the filter installed is correct, that is the filter you need on there.
If it says "no filter" then the shutter speed is less than double frame rate and you dont need a filter.
Hope that helps a bit!
-Jeff

Just downloaded iOS version and gave it a quick look...seems pretty straightforward and saves doing math in my head which is always appreciated ;-)

will be able to test more when you guys ship the P4pro set...

Working on split ND set (all neutral .3-.6-.9) for the P4pros yet? (PLEASE ;-)
Awesome thank you very much for the feedback!
Yes we have the grad set in the hopper, but wanted to push out the Cinema Series versions first.
Thanks for the support!
-Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I thought it would use the phone camera to calculate a number and produce which filter to use. This kind of feature would be awesome since we don't have to launch AC in the air and adjust numbers on the screen.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyway, how to use the app? I chose some numbers and hit calculate, nothing happen.

Thats a great idea,
Each phone has a different camera, and each phones camera is different than the aircraft's camera.
For the most accurate reading you need to use the values direct from the aircraft.

If the app says no filter, then you should not have a filter on there. It works when your values require a filter.
If you want it to show a filter enter 1/3200 into shutter and it will show a filter value...

Thanks for the feedback!
-Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20