polar pro warning

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls just to let some of you know that the polar pro gimbal guard catchers on the camera on start up of the phantom on the pro and advance. went to the first UK drone show and told them at event who were selling polar pro stock, the guy I spoke to said no it dos not but he tried it on a drone he had i.e. the advance and of Couse it did. Your would of thought he would know this his replier was well take it off before calibration not a good reply. to resolve the problem I used my dermal to take a small area out polar pro should look at this problem an resole it any one else had this?

Attachments

• poler pro.JPG
    poler pro.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,456
Reactions: sads45
Hi guys and girls just to let some of you know that the polar pro gimbal guard catchers on the camera on start up of the phantom on the pro and advance. went to the first UK drone show and told them at event who were selling polar pro stock, the guy I spoke to said no it dos not but he tried it on a drone he had i.e. the advance and of Couse it did. Your would of thought he would know this his replier was well take it off before calibration not a good reply. to resolve the problem I used my dermal to take a small area out polar pro should look at this problem an resole it any one else had this?
I'm sorry but that was really hard to understand..

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

I almost bought one of those. I can't imagine they made the product without testing it. Are you sure it was installed correctly? It can't be your unit as you said you tried it on a different unit in the store and it hit correct? Why not just return it and get one of the many other choices instead? Well, if you made it work and your happy I suppose thats all that counts. :)

Craig,

Did you ever get this resolved? I am considering purchasing one of these but I don't want to have to calibrate the gimbal before I put it on. How much material did you need to remove to get it to work without the gimbal and camera hitting? Do you have any pics of the modified part that you can share?

Thanks,

Knight.

Hmmmmm, picked mine up a IEC in Los Angeles. It hits either way I orient it. Sent a note to polar pro, I'm curious what will be their reply....I'm a returning customer for almost a year, so hope it's positive. Seems they just got some investment funding from shark tank, so hope they don't have the "big head" too soon!

Craig,

Did you ever get this resolved? I am considering purchasing one of these but I don't want to have to calibrate the gimbal before I put it on. How much material did you need to remove to get it to work without the gimbal and camera hitting? Do you have any pics of the modified part that you can share?

Thanks,

Knight.
Hi I decided not to use it after all . Have not taken picture but will do when I get some time very soon all the best and have a nice xmas

Martin, That's a good looking gimbal protector. I have the carbon fiber model from UAVBITS.NET and it seems to work fine too, but yours has a better look to it, looks more OEM. I'm just wondering which one is stronger to protect the gimbal. These protectors are great to tie on a Marco Polo tracker beacon.
Be aware that some drone cases and backpacks made specifically for the P3 require the landing gear to flex a little to fit snugly into the foam insert. These gimbal protectors don't allow that flex to occur, it makes the landing gear very rigid, making it a real hassle to use the case.

Last edited:
Got the polar pro guard in a kit (filters, guetc).. Gimbal strikes the guard on power up... Really annoying.. Going you email them.. Otherwise a nicer design, finish, etc. Can't tell whether it will fall out as the fit isn't extremely tight (may zip tie it if I can get one that works)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I am having the same issue, this is the response I got back in an email.

Hi Steve,

I am sorry for the trouble you are having with your Gimbal Guard. To be honest, this is the first I have heard of this issue.

If you feel this is going to damage your camera please let us know and we will get you set up for a refund.

Regards,

Dan
▶ Show quoted text

That was December 9th, 2015.

Everyone having an issue should email them, so they can know that there is a problem so they can fix it.

Craig,

Thanks,

Knight.
Hi this is picture of the polar pro have highlighted in chalk. The part that needs thinning down also you can hold down the back part when you first turn on the phantom. but I would buy some other make kind Regards Craig

Attachments

• polar pro.JPG
    polar pro.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 783
Hi this is picture of the polar pro have highlighted in chalk. The part that needs thinning down also you can hold down the back part when you first turn on the phantom. but I would buy some other make kind Regards Craig
We shouldn't have to modify a part like this. I sure hope polar pro responds and remedies or clarifies the intent. I've been waiting 5 days without a reply. I'm only 20mins from their office in Newport, so maybe I'll just run over there....

Emailed them today.. No idea how they could not know-it's designed wrong

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I contacted Polar Pro and received this response from Dan

Hi Mark,

We knew this prior to starting the production of the Gimbal guard and that is why we made it so easy to install and remove. You are going to want to install it post warmup.

Kind regards,

Dan

So either they did or didn't know about this issue. That has to be the worse response to a customer outside of saying it's your problem now just deal with it. Who wants to remove the guard every time you have to start the P3?

I informed Dan about his conflicting answers and that this thread already has 1,000 views. Not happy at all with Dan's answer.

I'll past a follow up with his response to my follow up email.

Reactions: craighip
I saw a response that stated that they "intended" for the protector to work that way. They designed it that way to offer protection for the camera.

Probably should have been their initial response.

We shouldn't have to discover what Polar Pro's intentions were during design process by watching camera slam into "protective guard" :) Dan's suggestion that " you are going to want to install it post warmup" while helpful, it's not something you want to hear after the fact. You'd guess that the guard being so easy to install and remove it'd also come off fairly easy during a crash and offer only minor protection. It's pretty flexible and is easy to put on and take off. A few zip-ties and some cutting will improve it. I think for most people having to set rc down to pick up your warmed up phantom and having to hold it in one hand and install gimbal guard with the other is a bit of a hassle. My expectations were that I'd install it and like the infomercial "forget about it"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic