POI virgin.

Reaction score
I had never tried POI with the Mavic Pro and now that it's off to Carson ... so the P4P gets the training job.

So watched a quick "how to" vid today and so armed went off to 4 locations to try. One small public building with nothing around, a cell tower, an arena and a civic centre tucked in amongst the white pines.

I was disappointed in the accuracy. There was a good breeze, about 7 or 8 knots at the surface. Finally figured out that small yaw adjustments could keep things pretty centred.

Also seemed to snag the REC button and kill my recordings mid way. What a crappy design for a REC button. It should be stiffer or at least need a deeper throw.

Other problem is that with fresh snow on the ground, the ND 8 that I have cannot cut it. I'll have to order at least an ND16 and ND32 (for next winter...). Beginning to think I wasted money on the DJI filter when I could have ordered Taco's or PolarPros in sets.

Anyway, nothing esp. "filmworthy" but I've got a handle on how to do it.

Plan on an ND32 for bright daylight, ND64 for snow.

I've only tried the POI feature once on my P3S but found it to be surprisingly accurate in fairly high wind. I may have just gotten lucky on the yaw adjustment.

You can see some of the footage in this video:

Reactions: REL57 and Hairy
Plan on an ND32 for bright daylight, ND64 for snow.

I've only tried the POI feature once on my P3S but found it to be surprisingly accurate in fairly high wind. I may have just gotten lucky on the yaw adjustment.

You can see some of the footage in this video:

Nice and good edit.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Thank you!

You'll eventually want to use Litchi for precise POI captures. Here one I was fooling around with last year. Watch for the night transitions and guess how that's done.

You'll eventually want to use Litchi for precise POI captures. Here one I was fooling around with last year. Watch for the night transitions and guess how that's done.

I assume that you used the same flight plan. Wash, rinse, repeat. And then do the appropriate transitions in post. At that, the first day/night transition didn't register perfectly, but did shift ... some post "registration" location move, I suppose (I'm all but virgin where video editing is concerned...)

I'm more curious about how you get cars through the fence - either the tightest designed gates ever or it's not open at all to cars...

I had never tried POI with the Mavic Pro and now that it's off to Carson ... so the P4P gets the training job.

So watched a quick "how to" vid today and so armed went off to 4 locations to try. One small public building with nothing around, a cell tower, an arena and a civic centre tucked in amongst the white pines.

I was disappointed in the accuracy. There was a good breeze, about 7 or 8 knots at the surface. Finally figured out that small yaw adjustments could keep things pretty centred.

Also seemed to snag the REC button and kill my recordings mid way. What a crappy design for a REC button. It should be stiffer or at least need a deeper throw.

Other problem is that with fresh snow on the ground, the ND 8 that I have cannot cut it. I'll have to order at least an ND16 and ND32 (for next winter...). Beginning to think I wasted money on the DJI filter when I could have ordered Taco's or PolarPros in sets.

Anyway, nothing esp. "filmworthy" but I've got a handle on how to do it.

Went back in the warm evening light and did a couple more at the first two locations. Much better results in doing light yaw corrections. Also had the frame rate higher (60) and the shutter speed at 1/125. Smoother, but still a little "stutter" for anything in relative movement.

I assume that you used the same flight plan. Wash, rinse, repeat. And then do the appropriate transitions in post. At that, the first day/night transition didn't register perfectly, but did shift ... some post "registration" location move, I suppose (I'm all but virgin where video editing is concerned...)

I'm more curious about how you get cars through the fence - either the tightest designed gates ever or it's not open at all to cars...
Yes, 3 identical autonomous Litchi flights, different times of day, edited to be time phased. This demo isn't perfect, my first and only attempt at something like this. However this demos how smooth Litchi can do POI circles or ovals. It's impossible to be that smooth and consistent when flying manually.

The fence around these model homes will come down when they aren't models anymore.

Yes, 3 identical autonomous Litchi flights, different times of day, edited to be time phased. This demo isn't perfect, my first and only attempt at something like this. However this demos how smooth Litchi can do POI circles or ovals. It's impossible to be that smooth and consistent when flying manually.

The fence around these model homes will come down when they aren't models anymore.
Nice job with the video and you have given me some ideas for flying around my area. Are all houses in the US that big?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj