POI - DJI GO - can I preset a poi?

Reaction score
I want to shoot an amphitheater during a concert but don't want to fly over the crowd to set the poi. Is there a way to visit the site while it is empty and preset the center also point so when I return I can use this preprogrammed location?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes you can. Do your flight in the trainer with waypoints and repeat it later.

I don't want to sound like a teacher, but are you sure that it's allowed what you want to do? Flying over crowds...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

Thanks Thomas! I'll try that.
that is my point... it is illegal so I DON'T want to fly over the crowd.
I want to preset the center point (poi) and move the d4 out beyond where the crowd will be.
That way I could show up while the amphitheater is full of people, take off and fly the preset circle well outside the area with the crowd.

I had this exact same thought and question a few minutes ago. Let us know if you figure out a good way to accomplish this.

Use Apps like Litchi, program your way points, take a dry run and execute the same mission later on.

For just this single task litchi is not needed. Litchi is great if you want to execute more tasks like this or longer ones.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

Thomas - Using waypoints I can't get the smoothness in video the way POI does them. How would I then turn them into a POI mission?

Thomas - Using waypoints I can't get the smoothness in video the way POI does them. How would I then turn them into a POI mission?

Hi Kitkos,

I don't think you can do this with DJO GO. For these requirements I'd use Litchi. This has the advantage that you can define where the camera is directed during the whole flight. Additionally you can stop at waypoints if you want to and do some shots before you continue.

But what I like most with Litchi that you can prepare your flight at home using your PC. That makes things a lot easier and comfortable.

Last edited:
Hi,
As Thomas suggested, use the DJI Go App with a Waypoint mission created in the simulator and saved as a favorite.

Please note, these are settings/methods I have tested; I accept no liability for any issues you may have as a result of trying this out (good or bad!).

To get an almost POI do this:
SIMULATOR
Connect your aircraft/tablet etc. as required to get the DJI Assistant 2 simulator up and running.
Turn on your GPS on your tablet so that you get your satellite maps displayed when you set your simulator home point (based on the actual position you'll be flying from).
In DJI Go App:
Set your max horizontal distance range to your optimal distance from POI (e.g. 75m).
Set your simulator lat/long in the boxes; this will be the central point/start point that you want if you were flying a POI; DO NOT SET A WAYPOINT HERE, just the home point.
Think about the altitude you want to fly the waypoint POI because you can't change it in a waypoint mission.
You should now be where you want to be but in the simulator (check your map display).
Take off.
Set your flight altitude (e.g. 60m).
Start your waypoint mission plan by flying to the range limit, when the aircraft stops at the limit, set a waypoint.
Move the aircraft left or right but keep at the range limit; it should now track a circular path.
Set as many waypoints as you can to get a smooth track (every 20m?). Not sure how many waypoints you can set in a mission but it's lots.
Repeat setting the waypoints for your required profile.
Save as a favorite.
End the mission.

RESET the horizontal range limit to something reasonable.
Fly the waypoint favorite in the simulator to refine it and check it.
Fly it with different camera control options to get the best setup for your actual mission.
Try setting a slightly different lat/long close to your POI start waypoint but away from where the crowds will be and away from the original central point (the original home point).
Fly in the simulator again to test.

Keep checking battery temp while flying the simulator mission and if it gets close to 40C, shutdown and cool down for a while (at least that's what I do).
You can only save 3 favorites so bear that in mind when simulating/planning.

You might need to try some variations of the above, perhaps with two semi-circular waypoint missions so that you can have different entry/exit points or to avoid people/structures etc.

ACTUAL
Fly safely and observe your aviation authority rules.
Good luck :)

Thomas - thank you, I bought Litchi app. and have practiced with it a little bit.

AndyD - thank you, since I use iOS and the Litchi app does not have all the features Go does, so I'm going to try your method as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie