POI and changing altitude

Reaction score
Anyone know if the new POI feature will allow you to control the altitude while it orbits? or will this be locked?

Now that POI is finally coming I have time to think up cool shots!

The POI feature does not exist yet, so nobody knows.

if dji is using the same SDK that all the developers are using, than no, it does not let you control altitude during orbit...

if dji is using the same SDK that all the developers are using, than no, it does not let you control altitude during orbit...
Sorry to hack, do you know if the Wookong M let you control the altitude during the POI?

Purely speculation here: The POI feature that is coming (and developers already have their hands on) will not have adjusting height for the reason of processing power. The Phantom does not identify what it is spinning around, just that it is to orbit at this height and this distance and this speed with this camera angle. If the height was adjusted, it wouldn't have the smarts to adjust the camera angle because it doesn't know what it is looking at. If adjusting the height doesn't stop the POI dead in it's tracks, then you can adjust the height and would have to manually adjust the camera too. Sometimes you just want that spiral up aimed at a subject matter -- likely that will be a very manual process.

Cacc:
The camera angle can be calculated in a formula based on the original altitude, new altitude and flight path radius. The camera does not need to know what it looks at. The point of interest is just a point in space with coordinates in X,Y and Z axes. The calculation is relative not absolute. If one variable ( here altitude or Z axes) changes the result (here camera angle changes accordingly). If another variable changes ( radius) again the result changes. How often this is calculated makes the movements more or less fluid.

It is a little more involved then I made it sound but it is not that complicated as a mathematical formula. I don't know much about coding but after the math is done the programmer should be able to make this work.

IMO, the camera stays fixed straight ahead, the POI is XY, maybe Z but that's not mandatory. The phantom rotates around XY point, I wish anywhere along the Z axis, and the radius is what you decide it is by being closer or farther of XY.
I believe the 3DR Solo is able to move camera and UAV independently when you memorize Point A, Point B and launch the automated sequence. Would be great to have this on the Phantom. Life would be easier.

Last edited:
Now in Way points GS yes.

IMO, the camera stays fixed straight ahead, the POI is XY, maybe Z but that's not mandatory. The phantom rotates around XY point, I wish anywhere along the Z axis, and the radius is what you decide it is by being closer or farther of XY.
I believe the 3DR Solo is able to move camera and UAV independently when you memorize Point A, Point B and launch the automated sequence. Would be great to have this on the Phantom. Life would be easier.

In my post I just wanted to explain the geometry behind making it work.
What you are describing is a way of USING an app where you are determine some variables. Anyway: The function you are describing in regard to the Solo seems to be rather "cable cam" not "orbit" what is discussed on this thread. But it's all meaningless until we see get the app that actually entails these functions. Then we can see how creative the maker of the app has been. There is certainly a wide open field for developments of such functionality. Developers of add-ons based on the SDK might go deeper into it as it is their main product. I assume DJI developed the SDK to leave this functionality rather with independent developers (liabilty concerns?) but now seems to feel the need to add some directly to their own app (DJI Go) as others quadcopter companies are trying to offer some of these functions out of the box. However it will play out, we are all benefitting from the fast developments. I wish I had a crystal ball to see what will be available to us within the next year or 2. For sure it will be exciting!

I can only agree with you sir :)

Good discussion. In particular I am looking at filming lighthouse in my region. It would be awesome to have an orbit start low and end high. The elevation change would be programmed in or done manually with the stick. Also maintain user control of the tilt of the camera. I have had some limited success doing this manually, but its alot to control all at once!

Anyone know if the new POI feature will allow you to control the altitude while it orbits? or will this be locked?

Now that POI is finally coming I have time to think up cool shots!

Yes you can but its currently beta so anything can change..Please don't ask when it will be released I will not give a time frame.

Reactions: odalaigh
Good discussion. In particular I am looking at filming lighthouse in my region. It would be awesome to have an orbit start low and end high. The elevation change would be programmed in or done manually with the stick. Also maintain user control of the tilt of the camera. I have had some limited success doing this manually, but its alot to control all at once!

Over time we will see apps that allow us to pre-program the whole take, if we want to.
I would favor a "learning" approach used often by industrial robots: instead of doing the "theory" somewhere on the map by plugging in waypoints and associate altitudes and camera angles, my hopes are I can fly to a point, hover and set all by pushing a button. Flying to the next point and doing the same. The processor is interpolating and we have programmed a flightpath. We can recall from it's stored location.
Advantage: as we are actually flying to program there is less chance of missing an obstruction. Also we can fly the same path over and over at different times, going for the best outcome. Inagine doing one flight a week over a year, then edit it into a timelap video. At least for locations with real seasons ( not here in Ecuador) that would be pretty nice project. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic