Please report Good as well as bad flights here.

Reaction score
I like many here seem to have worries about flying the Phantom Vision due to crash reports. I agree with the principle that all erratic flight behaviour should be reported to both DJI and your dealer. However, its left me wondering how many successful flights are happening each day around the world and what the actual risk level is in flying these craft.

I propose that pilots use this thread to log each good flight as well as any bad ones. By all means create a specific crash post for detailed discussion but just use this thread as a simple log of success or otherwise. That way we can keep a running total and begin to build a picture of the scale of any problem.

I have so far had 1 successful flight. O bad experiences.

Hopefully this will be of use to us all.

And there's that one thread that tries to collect good Phantom Vision flights reports.

I don't think there's any practical way to get people to log all their flights in a thread.

edit: I've done about 2 dozen successful flights with my Phantom Vision so far; most of them around my home.. a rather packed area.

I've so far logged nearly a dozen flights now with no problems what so ever. Most flights have been in open area / park while 4 of them have been in back yard at high altitude.

There is no doubt people are experiencing problems but if you go back through the posts just trying to find flyaway type crashes then there don't seem to be that many. I am going through all such crash reports one by one and compiling a list. One is too many of course but if you set that against the many successful flights then maybe the risk is in fact very small.

In my RC hell days on 2.4ghz I never experienced any interference at all and we used to fly from a field that had major power lines just behind us.

It would be good for people to occasionally post at least the total number of good flight experiences so that we can get a handle on how common problems are.

Flight 2 just passed off without incident. This time I didn't calibrate the compass before flight as I subscribe to the thinking that this only needs to be done if you move a massive distance between sites or you get a compass error warning.

I have had probably over 100 successful flights with no issues. Cold, night, snow, day, etc.

Most of my videos are choppy as i just have tried moving to ATTI mode - that will be much smoother moving forward.

I have never even had it 'act up' a little bit, just flies like a champ.

Here are some random videos that i have been taking:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC194jv ... C_7mU02skg

Probably 2 dozen good flights with altitudes to 400' - temperatures to 25°F. No issues, no problems. Ground level is at about 5000'.

Another two batteries flown through this morning over 3 sorties - see the flight logs here: http://flytrex.com/simon.newton.5201/

This is still on prior firmware as I won't have access to a Windows machine until tomorrow. I had trouble-free flights with a couple of points to note:

1. I had invalid battery errors at switch on for both batteries and had to remove and re-seat them both. This then cleared the errors and I had no repeats in flight at all. Colder weather again today, so that may have something to do with it.

2. On my first battery's second sortie (I moved to lower ground, too blowy up on the Ridgeway this morning) I got the klaxon alarm whilst pushing full left aileoron (right stick) at about 50% battery power. As soon as I eased back from full tilt the klaxon stopped. No other alarms followed, including during full speed manouevres. Incidentally the battery meter itself and the screen border didn't flash, I just heard the klaxon briefly.

GPS hold was working overtime in the stiff breeze today and performed flawlessly. I didn't calibrate my compass before any of these flights as I had perfect performance last time out - and you'll see from the logs that I moved a few miles after a brief first flight to find calmer conditions.

If it doesn't crash or fly away, then it's a good flight!

Here...

Here is what happened to my Phantom Vision after more than 20 flights with no issues:

All firmware up to date, everything was working fine, and i have never crash landed or even got close to anything like that, i also own the previous phantom with the go pro. I have been flying rc aircraft for almost 10 years now anyway, i took off with 10 sattelites and i was flying around my house , which is in the countryside, no interference of any sort, at 50 ft, it stopped climbing and started descending in an uncontrollable manner, i tried to add power , did not work, so i wanted to land it as good as i can, and it hit concrete hard. Metal surrounding the camera is scratched, the hull has some scratches too, i hate when that happens, i like to keep my aircraft clean and good looking so i am thinking of selling this thing on ebay or something, because i just hate when something this expensive gets out of control and crash lands so i guess my advice would be to be carefull and i don't know maybe make a lot of money and be able to replace your toys when they fail. I will go back to flying rc airplanes now.

Dazi said:
Here...

Here is what happened to my Phantom Vision after more than 20 flights with no issues:

All firmware up to date, everything was working fine, and i have never crash landed or even got close to anything like that, i also own the previous phantom with the go pro. I have been flying rc aircraft for almost 10 years now anyway, i took off with 10 sattelites and i was flying around my house , which is in the countryside, no interference of any sort, at 50 ft, it stopped climbing and started descending in an uncontrollable manner, i tried to add power , did not work, so i wanted to land it as good as i can, and it hit concrete hard. Metal surrounding the camera is scratched, the hull has some scratches too, i hate when that happens, i like to keep my aircraft clean and good looking so i am thinking of selling this thing on ebay or something, because i just hate when something this expensive gets out of control and crash lands so i guess my advice would be to be carefull and i don't know maybe make a lot of money and be able to replace your toys when they fail. I will go back to flying rc airplanes now.

Its reports like this that scare the wits out of regular flyers. Had you updated to v1.08? Sorry to hear about this crash but thanks for sharing.

Dazi said:
Here...

That sucks.

What firmware were you on?

The initial firmware (v1.0) has a bug that causes this behaviour when there's a problem with battery contact. A firmware update released sometime in november (v1.05) corrected this behaviour... and the very latest release (v1.08), just yesterday improved it further.

I was on 1.05 , more than 20 flights with no issues, i don't want to scare people but these are very complicated rc aircraft and i regret buying the vision shortly after it was released, i don't even want to fly it anymore. And i am not sure if i can get a replacement or a new camera, for my phantom, because once you buy these things, you are on your own if it fails, you will have to mail dji somehow explain the situation and hope they will help you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31