Please help me choose a gimbal

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am searching and researching as much as possible about gimbal options. Including viewing Youtube videos about installing them. Some seem to require all kinds of tricky looking soldering, etc. Some seem to requuire the Phanbtom upgrade kit (which requires soldering I think).

I have a stock phantom that i would like to add a gimbal. What would a good turn-key gimbal kit be for me? Are there any turn-key gimbals out there?

Does this one work well for newbies to install?
Ebay: Brushless Camera Gimbal for Gopro Hero 3 DJI Phantom w/ Motors & Controller PTZ

I am eager to get some more usable video footage of architecture fly-overs and see getting a gimbal as a necessity but am overwhelmed about how to proceed. Any help?

Just be careful buying from Goodluckbuy. I'm presently going through a ton of crap trying to get my gimbal pitch control working. They have offered no real help after 25 emails back and forth. They directed me to a website that was supposed to contain the firmware for the gimbal, after downloading it, it turned out to be malware along with a trojan virus that screwed up my computer. I would not buy anything from Goodluckbuy, spend the extra money and get it from someone in the states.

I just installed a Beholder Lite for a Go Pro hero 3 on my DJI Phantom. I bought it from xmseller on eBay for $174. I am very pleased with it. Very good quality and the seller was in the USA.

I did a lot of research and was skeptical of the cheaper models out there. I didn't want to go over a $200 budget, so this hit the spot. Good reviews, and priced right.

My only beef is that this model is built for the go Pro 3, and not the Go Pro 3+. It seems the new one is a tad smaller. But I'm ok with that.

Eric

I recommend you do your homework.....carefully. There are MANY threads on gimbals here and on the Video section. The most popular are the Zenmuse, Arris, and Tarot. I think you will find a LOT threads about problems with Goodluckbuy....including an aux line meltdown. The UN-named and UN-documented Chinese gimbals are predictably MORE difficult and even LESS documented than the Arris and Tarot....and that is hrd to imagine...but true.

Assume you are going to get very little documentation and have to live with on-line threads and assistance.....and choose one that is well supported on-line.

Also note, the more expensive the LIGHTER, the cheaper the HEAVIER.

Good luck.

The Tarot is a good one, but you need to put together. It is one of the best for the money. Some of us have had issues with parts and SW. My kit came missing the #3 package to hold the control board. I just made my own stand offs.

The White and Silver models of GoPro are what the Phantom was made for. Seriously, don't hang a $400 camera off a $200 gimbal. You are just asking for trouble.

I just got my Tarot working. I should have some footage tomorrow.

When I eventually go for a gimbal I was considering a aeroxcraft. A reasonable price, not too much soldering and from examples posted the results look pretty good.

Now that's some very fine video! Agree the final shot is very effective and superbly done.

Please post this to the Video section here if you haven't already.

Steve

blackoakcreative said:
Been using a ZenMuse for a few weeks. Truly blown away at its functionality. Have had zero issues.

Shot this quick vidoe with it. Zero post stabilization. The jogging shots were done on a very windy day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNE4oOPW ... e=youtu.be

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj