Places to fly in NYC and LI

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on drone friendly areas to fly in NYC and LI. There are a few RC fields in NYC but they seem to be managed by various AMA groups. Do you need to be apart of that AMA group to fly at that field? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would like some insight on this as well. I went down to Cedar Creek in Wantagh and saw you have to have an AMA registration and a park pass. Then I read further you can't fly alone and without a flight coordinator.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

This app which I downloaded has not restrictions listed and could get get you in serious trouble the location closest to me Bronx NY is a State Park. Can not fly there. I have been looking at NYC parks and may need to apply for permission. I left them a message to show any updates on using any parks in NY. They are listed but also are commented that NYC parks are no fly zones legally. I hope the FAA regs changed the status. We have to lobby for space in city spaces and parks mostly due to crowds wires kids property and ignorant fliers, and silly drone haters issues. Go to your government area rep with your concerns, certificates and drones and/or pictures of flights and show the good we do. Professionally and even for hobbyists. I suggest you remind them we are voting also, and let them know about the 82 billion dollar for ten years projected value of our industry. That 8.2 billion every year. Please find ways to open this door wide.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I found that if you really pay attention to the boundaries of the no fly zones. You may find areas to fly. A park in the Bronx is half way in no fly zone and half is not. I fly outside the limits. No trouble so far.

NY state parks you can fly in but you have to fill out a form requesting permission and pay a fee first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I don't never filed for one, there's alot of requirements...if you look at that PDF it tells you everything you need...it doesn't say how much the fee is though

Here's the official ruling per "2015" orders. (this is not the sample) http://nysparks.com/inside-our-agen...olicies/RegulatingUnmannedAircraftSystems.pdf.

A second catch that is a pain even for flying hobbyists is the required insurance coverage for drones. I will visit each of the three location central to my location and get all the face to face responses and report my finding. This is fun.
Fee prices not listed seems to be based on daily, yearly, or lifetime uses for State Parks. The fee prices seem discretionary to site management or hidden until investigated.
State parks near me are 1: Riverbank, (NYC) 2: Henry Hudson (NYC) 3: Roberto Clemente (Bronx NY)

For hobbyist I did see a mention about being a AMA member but not sure if they will take that as having insurance

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20