PIX4D

Zoom out and it should look fine if you zoom into far it goes black and can't see the map

At the point of zoom just before the black screen my satellite view looks so blocky as to be useless. I'll try and get a screenshot and post here.

Today I tried Pix4d for the first time with my Vision 2. I easily completed a mission, transferred the files (photos and p4d file) to my PC, but the PC software keeps crashing as soon as I start processing the project. Same thing happens even when I try to process the demo project.

gordhunt said:
Probably don't have a powerful enough pc either memory or video card.

I have Q6600 with 8GB memory. The only problem is the free space which might be the problem. Pix4d warns me at startup that I don't have 100gb free space. On my system drive I don't. But on my NAS and another drive I have more than enough.

Jonas,

Spent some time on your web site, this forum, and youtube. Can you confirm that a P2 + H3-3D + Hero3+ Flytrex Live 3G can be used to accurately and efficiently make magic with your software? That is, without hand tuning the image alignment? I see lots of how-to's on your web site, but wouldn't mind confirmation that us P2 owners need not acquire a Vision in order to leverage your technology. $200 on a Flytrex Live 3G is a lot cheaper (and with other lost-model benefits) than buying a P2V.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

Hello,

Two things:
  • Capture is a product that we develop to help people take images in a good way using DJI drones. For now, the Capture App only supports P2V and P2V+. I don't know about a modified version of a P2V, but it is likely that you will not be able to take off (let me know if you know more about this!).
  • Our technology, Pix4Dmapper, is independent from the camera (hence from the drone). It is using images to make extremely accurate 3D models and maps. Pix4Dmapper takes images in input. We support a lot of different cameras (e.g. Canon 5D/6D, GoPros, Samsung Galaxy cameras, ...).

JonasPix4D said:
For now, the Capture App only supports P2V and P2V+.

Jonas,

Your answer seems somewhat inconsistent with your Pix4D knowledge base at https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/...ss-with-the-Different-Models-of-DJI-Phantom-2 which is snapshotted below. It would be very helpful for the Phantom 2 community if Pix4D and Flytrex would optimize a route for smooth integration of images taken from a P2+Flytrex Live 3D. Alternately, good integration of a Ground Station-based methodology would also work. I would suggest that the firms and individuals that are most likely to become paying customers of Pix4D are more likely flying P2's than P2V's. (No offense intended to any P2V pilots out there.)

Kelly

Attachments

• Q's about Pix4D and Phantom 2.jpg
    Q's about Pix4D and Phantom 2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 401
OK, the problem is simply that map coverage in my area (UK) is very poor and blocky. If I pan over to the US the resolution of the satellite view is much clearer.
update - the high resolution mapping starts a few miles south of me for some reason?!?

It's not a stopper, but I cannot use the satellite view to accurately position the grid for survey.

A

gingerbloke said:
At the point of zoom just before the black screen my satellite view looks so blocky as to be useless. I'll try and get a screenshot and post here.

I don't think my answer is inconsistent, but I am not sure that I understood your message correctly.

• Pix4Dmapper Capture App is the Android/iOS flight planning App. It currently supports the PV2 and PV2+.
  • You can still use other DJI drones (or any other camera) as long as you know where the picture has been taken (and that is not even always necessary, if you take a good sequence and each image overlaps with the previous and next one). But in this case, you don't use the App but another flight planning solution (or you fly manually).
  • On the knowledge base, it is said that you can use a Flytrex flight logger for getting the image geolocation, but this is independent from the App. Same thing for the ground station software.

I hope it clarifies things a bit.

ciguli said:
gordhunt said:
Probably don't have a powerful enough pc either memory or video card.

I have Q6600 with 8GB memory. The only problem is the free space which might be the problem. Pix4d warns me at startup that I don't have 100gb free space. On my system drive I don't. But on my NAS and another drive I have more than enough.

That's not a very powerful computer. I'd argue that 16gb is a minimum requirement for any serious photogrammetry work. Most professional workstations have 64 or 128gb now, and no, I'm not talking about storage.

As for software and hardware, I recommend that all of you try Agisoft Photoscan and compare it to Pix4D. It's a very capable piece of software, and while it's great that Jonas is here to pitch for Pix4D, and that they're making apps for the Vision, I recommend that if you're interested in doing this for profit, that you look at all possible avenues, including not using an action cam for Scanning.

Again, I would consider a 1" sensor such as the Sony RX-100 to be a minimum for professional quality scans.

Here's an example of one I made with ~40 manually taken photos from an APS-C sized sensor:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii6i0XBAzZw[/youtube]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20