Pink Triangles in JPG photos in "S" and "M" modes

Reaction score
This problem has been mentioned already here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5086

These artifacts only seem to appear in the "S" and "M" modes. There is no sign of any problem in the default "L" mode.

So the reason why I've created a new topic is because I'm not convinced it is a faulty camera - as the original topic describes. This is because the RAW photos I've looked at, using Infranview, don't SEEM to display the same artifacts so it may be a problem with firmware. However because the Infranview settings I'm using are a bit of a bodge and I might not be getting all of the picture data/channels it is possible that I do have a hardware fault after all.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Tried updating firmware, no changes

With the amount of pictures that one can put on a 4GB card, why would anyone want to take pictures in S or M?

How many images do you see on the internet and elsewhere, and say "Too bad it's not a bigger resolution."?

Have you tried to refresh (rewrite) the camera's firmware?

BobUnplugged said:
With the amount of pictures that one can put on a 4GB card, why would anyone want to take pictures in S or M?

How many images do you see on the internet and elsewhere, and say "Too bad it's not a bigger resolution."?

Ah... but "S" and "M" modes are larger! The "L" mode is a smaller cropped version. I was surprised myself. "S" mode, for example is 4384x3288 but "L" is only 4384x2466. I can only assume that DJI lost something in translation! :)

@garygid

Yes - I've updated my original post to reflect this.

EDIT:
@BobUnplugged - After checking this many times it seems that (for me at least) manually selecting the size before taking shots seems to fix the size of the photo so that "S" is indeed a small shot and "L" is large as you and the manual suggest!

DragonRR said:
These artifacts only seem to appear in the "S" and "M" modes. There is no sign of any problem in the default "L" mode.

S&M mode??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

gunslinger said:
DragonRR said:

S&M mode??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Indeed.. It did cross my mind :lol:

It would be useful for someone to confirm that they DON'T have this problem if they use either the M.... or the S mode (there I swapped and applied distance just for you gunslinger). As mentioned these modes are probably mis named as they are both of higher resolution than the "L" mode.

Having just rechecked this in the manual and then retested it using my Phantom:

The manual clearly states that it should be the way round your would expect "S" being the smallest but when I select "S" in the Vision IOS app I get the largest photo 4384x3288 and when I select "L" (the default) I get the smallest which is a 16:9 shot at 4384x2466

I've checked and rechecked the settings I'm using when taking photos because I thought that I might have been mistaken but on my system using the IOS app:

S = 4384x3288 (This is "L" in the manual)
M = 4384x2922 (as per manual)
L = 4384x2466 (This is "S" in the manual)

The pink artifacts only appear in M and S modes, they are cropped off in the "L" mode.

EDIT
And checked again! - If manually selected first (in my case in IOS, iPhone 5) then L is indeed Large as described in the manual.

Looks like it could be related to lens flare. I see the sun in the upper right corner, so they may be some digital artifacts caused by high light conditions. Just my $0.02

babylonboots said:
Looks like it could be related to lens flare. I see the sun in the upper right corner, so they may be some digital artifacts caused by high light conditions. Just my $0.02

Same thing happens in a dark room (although they get darker). They are always there.

It's possible, likely I suppose but it doesn't explain the fact that the RAW file seems to be OK. I guess there could be some bad RAM in the jpg processing side of the camera which is creating these triangles. I am waiting for my supplier to respond to my emails.

DragonRR said:
It's possible, likely I suppose but it doesn't explain the fact that the RAW file seems to be OK. I guess there could be some bad RAM in the jpg processing side of the camera which is creating these triangles. I am waiting for my supplier to respond to my emails.

Ehhhh how do you know that the RAW files are ok, as I know of, no software can open them yet????

Infranview with some bodged settings does the job although imperfectly - colours are desaturated.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Settings:

4384 3288 (depending on the size of image you took)

12bpp - selected
Not normalized - selected

Misc:

Vert flip - checked

Bayer Pattern - checked
GR - selected

Interleaved selected (may not matter)
----------
I suspect it should be 16bpp but this doesn't work, like I said - a bodge.

It will sometimes crash!

Yeah -- I tried many settings in irfanview. 12bpp can get a single image but the colours on mine are always wrong. Sort of solarised.
I expect it's 16bpp and there's a header of unknown size....

Having checked and re-checked the S-M-L settings many times now it appears that sometimes the default setting "L" if left as is takes the smaller shots. However if I manually select the size before taking any shots then it works as per the user manual.

This means that the Topic header is incorrect and should read "L" and "M" modes, not "S" and "M" modes!

I have spoken to Quadcopters UK who have asked me to ship the unit back for testing.

Just thought I'd do an update.

I sent the Phantom back to quadcopters.co.uk. They have confirmed the fault which seems to be a hardware problem and are expediting a replacement from DJI.

Another update. Quadcopter is back with replaced camera. No pink or purple triangles as far as I can see.

I had a very similar problem. Small pink flag shape in the upper left corner of every JPG I took.
Artifact_zps617bdc07.jpg

I happened to take a photo indoors before my first flight and noticed it was in that shot as well. It never appeared in any video clips. For me, the artifact did appear in "L" mode and was the same size, shape, location, etc. in every shot. Dealer agreed to exchange. Also contacted DJI and they asked me to send a couple photos so they could see what the artifact looked like. Can't wait to get my new P2V.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers