Pine Trees and Cell Phones

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,
Many of you may or may not know that Pine Trees will most definately interfere with Cell Phone reception and sending. I talked with a Verizon Engineer and after installing 100 towers in Georgia beside one of the Interstate's, Verizon thought they had complete coverge only to find huge gaps between the towers. After doing some high tech research, they found that the frequency of Pine Trees and Cell phones are the same. Verizon then had to turn around and put in 40 more towers. This is something that I take seriously and think you should as well. I am sure there will be those out there that will want to disagree and that is your right to. I have a National Forest in my backyard and will not fly over the pines and always keep my Phantom in sight at all times. There is no way that I will fly an atonamous out of sight over pine forests. A few trees here and might not be a problem but just to be safe I stay totally away from Pine Trees when flying.

sounds like Vz F'd up on the design.... Pine Trees have been here before RF and are known entities.

To your point I'm in NC, jack pine's everywhere and take the same approach as you... LOS only when at my house

Hey Guys and Gals,
Many of you may or may not know that Pine Trees will most definately interfere with Cell Phone reception and sending. I talked with a Verizon Engineer and after installing 100 towers in Georgia beside one of the Interstate's, Verizon thought they had complete coverge only to find huge gaps between the towers. After doing some high tech research, they found that the frequency of Pine Trees and Cell phones are the same. Verizon then had to turn around and put in 40 more towers. This is something that I take seriously and think you should as well. I am sure there will be those out there that will want to disagree and that is your right to. I have a National Forest in my backyard and will not fly over the pines and always keep my Phantom in sight at all times. There is no way that I will fly an atonamous out of sight over pine forests. A few trees here and might not be a problem but just to be safe I stay totally away from Pine Trees when flying.
Very interesting. When we flew with IR cameras, in the old RF4's large pine trees stood out because of heat retention.

They do tend to absorb more RF than leafy trees but they don't 'suck' RF away from your quad.

You don't need to avoid them, just don't fly behind them (or anything).

Tell that to these guys - http://www.pinetreecellular.com

After doing some high tech research, they found that the frequency of Pine Trees and Cell phones are the same.
Do you have aa link to this information?

Are you saying that I can call a pine tree with my cell phone? How do you get the number?
It's 867-5301, no wait, thats Jenney's phone number. **** you Tommy Tutone!

Last edited:
Are you saying that I can call a pine tree with my cell phone? How do you get the number?

Tell you what, if you find a number, then your one smart cookie. But the fact is that Pine Trees do interfere with cell phones, exactly how, I can only make an educated guess, something like surface mass of pine tree leaves to regular leafy trees such as oak, elm, etc. But if you want to try this, go find a pine forest and get under the trees and try to use your cell phone and for the really bold ones, fly your quad and see what happens. If you do, please make a video so we can all see the results of flying under pines.

Actually it's 867-5309. ;)
o_O How you know ?? ;)
Ahaaaa keep that down will ya.jpg
TJ up late and just forgot :D
All we have in this part of MS is Pines and hadn't ever heard this before !! Fly over them lots and maybe that explains why I have my app to drop sometimes other than that they have never given me any problems . We do have some big ones in the yard and bet I will fly under them to see what happens . It would seem you would only lose sat.'s .

Last edited:
After doing some high tech research, they found that the frequency of Pine Trees and Cell phones are the same.
That...certainly sounds like a high-tech pine tree you have there!

What's going on here is that trees (and perhaps particularly pine trees, maybe moisture held by the pines) hold a lot of water. 2.4GHz and 5GHz don't like water, as it causes reflection and scattering. So your signal is going to be attenuated if you fly with a tree between you and your quadcopter.

Reactions: Meta4
That...certainly sounds like a high-tech pine tree you have there!

What's going on here is that trees (and perhaps particularly pine trees, maybe moisture held by the pines) hold a lot of water. 2.4GHz and 5GHz don't like water, as it causes reflection and scattering. So your signal is going to be attenuated if you fly with a tree between you and your quadcopter.
Well theres your problem, don't fly near the electric pine trees...

338-0216221621-cell-tower-pine-tree.jpg

o_O How you know ?? ;)
View attachment 19876 Slinger up late and just forgot :D
All we have in this part of MS is Pines and hadn't ever heard this before !! Fly over them lots and maybe that explains why I have my app to drop sometimes other than that they have never given me any problems . We do have some big ones in the yard and bet I will fly under them to see what happens . It would seem you would only lose sat.'s .

If you loose sat's then that has a direct impact on the Phantom's ability to hold position and return home correctly. This is why the new P3P's also lock on to Russian GPS satellites, not just U.S. GPS satellites. The higher number of satellites your Phantom can communicate with (basically speaking) the better. With my P2, I installed the copper sheet under the cover and satellite reception jumped from 6 or 7 to 11 or 12. Which improved handling for me. I have no idea of how many Sat's a P3P or P3A can communicate with.

If you loose sat's then that has a direct impact on the Phantom's ability to hold position and return home correctly. This is why the new P3P's also lock on to Russian GPS satellites, not just U.S. GPS satellites. The higher number of satellites your Phantom can communicate with (basically speaking) the better. With my P2, I installed the copper sheet under the cover and satellite reception jumped from 6 or 7 to 11 or 12. Which improved handling for me. I have no idea of how many Sat's a P3P or P3A can communicate with.
I got that and also have the foil and the booster under my GPS and have had as many as 14 Sat's but was just saying I like to fly way out and do so over Acre's of pine forest till I lose signal then just HL back and never have had any issue with that .
I know not to fly behind any tree's as I do lose signal ,Pine or Hardwood .
I had just never heard Pine tree's could be an issue and never have for me !!! Till now :eek:
Now what this P3 does I don't know yet but hope to soon !! ;)
Interesting read though !!!....Especially seeing TJ forgetting Jenny's number . :D

Last edited:
sounds like Vz F'd up on the design.... Pine Trees have been here before RF and are known entities.

To your point I'm in NC, jack pine's everywhere and take the same approach as you... LOS only when at my house

Also in NC so dealing with the pines is almost unavoidable unless you go somewhere. Since I prefer out of my backyard I actually take off out of a pasture surrounded by pines. I need to ascend to get to open skies. I love it because it because if someone was watching the Quad they have no idea where it returns home. . I have been keeping it at 300 feet until I know the area as that should keep you well above the pines. I will say I see plenty of video break up but I always keep an outstanding signal.

lol

You sure it's the pine trees vs redwood? Or is it the height and the fact they hold water and water absorbs RF ;)

lol

You sure it's the pine trees vs redwood? Or is it the height and the fact they hold water and water absorbs RF ;)
You saying you can't get no distance in moisture ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj