Pilots license requirement

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the correct place to ask but was starting my FAA 333 application and in my research it states you can apply got the 333 exemption however if you are the one flying the acft you must be a licenced pilot? Doesn't seem to make much sense. That's gonna hold a bunch of folks out. I've been flying RC helicopters for 8 ish years. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm not sure this is the correct place to ask but was starting my FAA 333 application and in my research it states you can apply got the 333 exemption however if you are the one flying the acft you must be a licenced pilot? Doesn't seem to make much sense.
It makes no sense and even the FAA know this and are eventually going to replace this with a different system.
But they move more slowly than a glacier.
Here's a summary of where they are at: FAA Task Force Unveils Recommendations for UAS Flights Over People | Focus on Regulation
or ... the full document from the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol.../2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf

Thanks Meta4 that helps a lot. I'll continue with my application. I've been in Army Aviation for almost 40 years as a Crewmember flying and as a aircraft inspector. I've flown RC helicopters for almost 8 years and my wife got me the Phantom 2 yo start a new filming hobby/business on the side. It didn't make sense. Thanks again for your input.

The pilot thing.

True, but that makes people like me with a pilots license happy...

Until they come up with a drone license program then I think it's a valid requirement. You really need to understand airspace and how real aircraft actually operate.

While you may know a lot about aviation, and have RC experience...there is no way for the FAA to quantify your understanding of the environment you operate in.

FYI, I'm also an air traffic controller.

The pilot thing.

Here a good video to watch on the subject ot the 333 exemption.

I'm not sure this is the correct place to ask but was starting my FAA 333 application and in my research it states you can apply got the 333 exemption however if you are the one flying the acft you must be a licenced pilot? Doesn't seem to make much sense. That's gonna hold a bunch of folks out. I've been flying RC helicopters for 8 ish years. Thanks in advance.

Maybe makes sense, maybe not, but until it changes it is the rules. LTA is the least expensive to get, theballoonflightschool.com

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik