Pilot app crashed big time

Reaction score
Question, I have a new iPad mini 2 and a p3p......at times over the last few weeks the camera would stop and I had to hit the home button and then the camera icon to get the feed back. Today at about 2k feet out, I first lost video and then the whole pilot app froze and I lost everything including all telemetry! It said disconnected in the red bar on top. The flight recorder seems to have recorded all the data but the pilot app wouldn't start up by going home then hitting camera. I had to shut down the app and restart it and then it worked. Any ideas? It was very in Nerving to say the least. Can I shut down the app completely and restart without worry of crashing? I had zero telemetry which was scary........thanks.

Question, I have a new iPad mini 2 and a p3p......at times over the last few weeks the camera would stop and I had to hit the home button and then the camera icon to get the feed back. Today at about 2k feet out, I first lost video and then the whole pilot app froze and I lost everything including all telemetry! It said disconnected in the red bar on top. The flight recorder seems to have recorded all the data but the pilot app wouldn't start up by going home then hitting camera. I had to shut down the app and restart it and then it worked. Any ideas? It was very in Nerving to say the least. Can I shut down the app completely and restart without worry of crashing? I had zero telemetry which was scary........thanks.
If the outside temps are above 90 degrees and in the sunlight, your device is probably overheating. Happened to me-- so now I sit in the pickup with the AC running and go out 2000 feet LOS without any issues. I am running Ipad Air 3 IOS

If the outside temps are above 90 degrees and in the sunlight, your device is probably overheating. Happened to me-- so now I sit in the pickup with the AC running and go out 2000 feet LOS without any issues. I am running Ipad Air 3 IOS
Yes you can shut down and restart the app-- if you have time--

Happened to me today. App would freak and lose connection and the video was terrible. I figured it out when the iPad mini 2 just locked with the over temp message. I was surprised how quickly it overheated. Only took 7-8 minutes. Maintained calm, had LOS and just flew the bird.

Happened to me today. App would freak and lose connection and the video was terrible. I figured it out when the iPad mini 2 just locked with the over temp message. I was surprised how quickly it overheated. Only took 7-8 minutes. Maintained calm, had LOS and just flew the bird.
Yes -- gotta keep em cool which is an issue where I live unless you sit inside the vehicle with the AC:D:D:D

Yes, you can shut down the app completely and restart it. You don't even need the app at all, though being 2k feet out makes it harder. In that case, maybe just a RTH until you can see it, then cancel the RTH if you want and if you know you have enough battery.

If you're using a Mini 2, you should get used to it overheating and how to respond. Mini 2 is great in cool climates, but underpowered enough to overheat sort of quickly in warmer climates.

Last edited:
****........Is there a better tablet that stays cooler? Can the App be made to be less demanding or would running any app cause this. I can still return the mini and get something else......

My Mini 2 does the same thing in hot weather and it's annoying. I've pretty much stopped using it. Instead I use my iPhone 6 Plus that seems like it can tolerate the heat much more than the Mini 2.

Make sure hardware decoder is set to ON?

Decoder is set to ON. Unless DJI somehow makes their app less intensive this mini 2 is going back. Most of my flying is in the summer being in the hose bag State of NJ. I have the new hdmi bord on its way. If I hook up goggles to it am I correct in assuming I will have fpv and telemetry from the hdmi poet in case the ipad mini grill heats up? You can barely see the mini in sunlight as it is….

Decoder is set to ON. Unless DJI somehow makes their app less intensive this mini 2 is going back. Most of my flying is in the summer being in the hose bag State of NJ. I have the new hdmi bord on its way. If I hook up goggles to it am I correct in assuming I will have fpv and telemetry from the hdmi poet in case the ipad mini grill heats up? You can barely see the mini in sunlight as it is….

Yep the hdmi out is a straight video feed independent of the data going to hit tablet so one could fail while the other is working fine. Ex you could fly without a tablet all together and use just the hdmi out feed. You technically don't need anything at all connected to fly.

Reactions: hidaven
How would you get all the telemetry out of the hdmi to the goggles if you weren't somehow connected to the pilot app? Are you just talking about a straight video feed minus telemetry?

How would you get all the telemetry out of the hdmi to the goggles if you weren't somehow connected to the pilot app? Are you just talking about a straight video feed minus telemetry?

It has an OSD overlay.. It's not app dependent

I use a phone android, wich is a different league, but i always remove the rear protection and original cover...

Some guys are installing pc fans on the rear of tablets.....what make some sense....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj