Pictures from Philadelphia

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just joined yesterday and posted a quick hello in the introductions forum. Here are a few pictures from Philadelphia. These were all taken with my Phantom 4 Pro. Looking forward to getting to know some of you here as time allows.

DJI_0021.JPGDJI_0029.JPGDJI_0032.jpg

Reactions: kndll
Great shot of the river and city skyscape. I went to Drexel and worked for GE Missle and Space division on Chestnut St. and in KOP. I travel through the surekill expressway monthly so quite familiar with the area. I'm just outside of Harrisburg so I'm not all that far away from you. Kudos on the photos. Where did you find a spot to launch your aircraft? Quite a congested area for sure.
Sparke

Hey Sparke,

LOL on the "surekill" expressway. It is only getting worse over time. I never want to drive that stretch between the zoo and KOP.

Yes it surely is a congested area in Center City and by the art museum, but also perfectly legal. It is just outside the 5 mile radius of the airport. I just need to watch out for the national parks/monuments and the prison. In this case I was launching from the little park area right next to boathouse row. It's the big open area at the bottom of the first picture.

I have even launched right in Center City in off hours when people and traffic are at a minimum. Another great area is off of the Race Street Pier right next to the Ben Franklin Bridge. I have some great pictures and video flying up and down the Delaware River.

I see your profile picture is a helicopter. Are you a pilot?

Hey Sparke,

LOL on the "surekill" expressway. It is only getting worse over time. I never want to drive that stretch between the zoo and KOP.

Yes it surely is a congested area in Center City and by the art museum, but also perfectly legal. It is just outside the 5 mile radius of the airport. I just need to watch out for the national parks/monuments and the prison. In this case I was launching from the little park area right next to boathouse row. It's the big open area at the bottom of the first picture.

I have even launched right in Center City in off hours when people and traffic are at a minimum. Another great area is off of the Race Street Pier right next to the Ben Franklin Bridge. I have some great pictures and video flying up and down the Delaware River.

I see your profile picture is a helicopter. Are you a pilot?

Yes, that's a 500 I use for power line work. I also fly commercial jets. Been flying since the age of 15 but now close to 72. Got into drones about 3 years prior and have been teaching drones and the bigger a/c since retirement. Just passed through Filthydelphia last week on the way back from Wildwood. Went over there to look at some new RV's. Thinking about going full-time RV'ing so I can take my drones and visit the US instead of looking at it from 32k feet. If you get up this way drop me a note. I have 12 acres on top of a ridge so flying is awesome and lots to see. Remember altitude is your friend.
Sparke

Very nice! Is that the steps that Rocky ran up?

Yes indeed they are. That is the Philadelphia Museum of Art and those are the steps Rocky ran up. The statue of Rocky used to be right at the top of the steps but they moved it so now it is down at ground level, to the right of the steps. That's the statue in the picture...MVIMG_20180822_155222.jpg

Yes, that's a 500 I use for power line work. I also fly commercial jets. Been flying since the age of 15 but now close to 72. Got into drones about 3 years prior and have been teaching drones and the bigger a/c since retirement. Just passed through Filthydelphia last week on the way back from Wildwood. Went over there to look at some new RV's. Thinking about going full-time RV'ing so I can take my drones and visit the US instead of looking at it from 32k feet. If you get up this way drop me a note. I have 12 acres on top of a ridge so flying is awesome and lots to see. Remember altitude is your friend.
Sparke

That's awesome. I've only flown single prop Cessna and Piper aircraft, but would love to fly a business jet. It just wasn't in the cards. I haven't had the need to get out by Harrisburg but if I am out that way I certainly will look you up. I need to get my drones somewhere scenic that is not a cityscape. If you want to fly in the Philly area, let me know. I'm around.

Quite correct the way you ended your message. Nothing more useless than runway behind you or air above you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic