Picture Quality lacking. Help

Reaction score
I have the following set up :

P2, Gopro 3+ Black and Hd-3D
IoSD Mini
Immersionrc 600mW 5.8Ghz
Black Pearl 7" LCD Screen FPV Diversity Rx 5.8GHz
5.8GHz Circular Polarized Antenna set ( 2)

The quality of the picture is not as good as I would think, at 150m out it starts to break up and is very hard to see (very dark).
Its all rigged up with plug and pray cable which all checks out.
Used both standard Antenna and Circular.

Any help would be appreciated

so actually it's not your "picture quality" rather it's your RANGE your concerned about, yes? Your equipment is totally solid, some people don't understand just how important 2 factors are in FPV range: antennas and interference.
1) interference: there is a MASSIVE difference in FPV performance operating in low (rural) and high (urban) interference environments. With the same set of pinwheel antennas, I've been out over 600m in rural areas, but when I fly over a city that range drops to about 100-150 meters. at that point I switch my receiver antenna to my helix, we'll get to that next

2) antennas. can you link us the antennas you bought? There's a reason that there is a huge antenna aftermarket and basically you get what you pay for... good, quality antennas command a premium price, and cheap antennas generally have poor or mediocre performance. When I fly with my aforementioned helix antenna over NYC, I'm getting around 650 meters distance (vs 150 with pinwheel only) and then my RC control actually cuts out (due to the same interference) but my FPV signal is fine.

a ton of people on this forum have and will back me that this 3-antenna kit from FPVLR is the ferrari of antenna kits. It comes with 2 pinwheels (1 Tx, 1 Rx) and a long range helix antenna for the receiver. If you have a diversity receiver you can have both Rx antennas plugged in at the same time, but whenever I have the helix plugged in it's always the stronger signal so I don't bother with the Rx pinwheel. I run just the pinwheels (no helix) when flying in rural, low interference environment.

I've also heard good things about this "Spironet" antenna bundle, but I believe it's just a pair of skew planars (1Tx 1Rx) and no long range directional. Omnidirectional antennas (pinwheel, skew planar) are great for short ranges (short being a relative term.. remember I do 600+ meters with my pinwheels easy) but helix style antenna which simply needs to be pointed at the Phantom are the real long range bad boys. You only need a helix on the receiver obviously.. you don't want a directional antenna on your Phantom because it changes orientation as you fly

anyway if you wind up going with that kit, make sure you contact the sales@fpvlr first and coordinate exactly which transmitter and receiver you have, Tony is very friendly and making sure he knows exactly which equipment you have will ensure that you get all the right connectors. I know that "SMA" and "RP-SMA" and which antennas have straight vs 90-deg connectors can be confusing.. Tony's great about making sure you get exactly what you need.

you're very welcome.
those definitely aren't the cheapest antennas you could possibly buy (I've seen a $12 pair on Banggood and they're complete ****) but I suspect based on your data and their price that they're on the cheaper side. If the FPVLR's are a 10 then yours are like a 4... in terms of overall quality. IF I'm right about those estimates (trying to be fair here I'm not all-knowing) that increase in quality would yield many multiple factors of better performance... like they won't be 60% better they'll be 600% better... I'm throwing out ******** numbers hopefully you get my overall meaning.

I want to be clear that this is a personal opinion from me not a "fact" per se, but I feel that if you have the budget and go to a more premium antenna set you will notice a drastic increase in performance. Spironet makes a popular pair of skew-planars that a lot more budget conscious folks around here have and say work very well if you don't want to go all the way to the FPVLRs.

alternately, since you're in a rural environment you honestly don't need the helix (unless you're shooting for multiple kilometer range) so you could just get 2 good pinwheels from him at like $30 I think each instead of the $110 bundle. Remember the distance I get just with the pinwheels.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj