Picture quality JPG vs DNG

Reaction score
Hello,

Have been comparing quality of the produced jpeg files from my Phantom 3 advanced to the corresponding raw dng files, and have to say that I was surprised. Tried with a lot of different settings, but at 100% the details in the raw files were always superior to the jpeg. I assume that the Jpeg files are saved with full quality.

Makes me wonder how many that complains about image quality have been looking at the jpeg files instead of the raw ones? You also have the ultimate control when working with the dng files.

It's well known that the jpg files are compressed files and there is a loss of information.

RAW is as stated always the better option, even so the photo quality is on the low side of average for a modern sensor IMHO, Video on the other hand looks great!

Reactions: aenbacka
RAW is as stated always the better option, even so the photo quality is on the low side of average for a modern sensor IMHO, Video on the other hand looks great!
The standard employs a panasonic sensor, the LUMIX always faired well under review holding its own in the image quality stakes. Its well known the pro canera is sony EXMOR R, arguably as good as it gets in the current 1/2.3 catagory.

What i have found is that second guessing the auto exposure settings, in particular with respect to the ISO will often give far superior results.

I shoot with three full frame SLR bodies and pro glass so the limitations of 1/2.3 and what i expect to be an optical system optimized for low weight are very obvious. You can still get very usable and impressive images from the phantom though.

Thanks for feedback. Just got Adobe Lightroom, and after doing some postprocessing (sharpen, white balance adjustments) I am very pleased with the results. Definitely recommend Lightroom.

Reactions: ELHEAPO
Thanks for feedback. Just got Adobe Lightroom, and after doing some postprocessing (sharpen, white balance adjustments) I am very pleased with the results. Definitely recommend Lightroom.
it is a great programme but so many people over work their pictures!

89c255b21f72c0db313b0055edd21d57.jpg

Above is an example of image that I recently edited in Lightroom, based on the original raw dng file.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj