Picture help

Reaction score
Yesterday was my first day out taking a ton of pics and videos now when I got home I took my sd card out put it in my computer and all I was able to see were my videos all my pics were just "!" Any ideas?

Definitely you are shooting raw format...you need a program that will open Adobe DNG files.

For now shoot in JPEG. Raw is a more advanced format and if you have something along the lines of Light room, Photoshop, Aperture, you can then open your Raw shot. Hope this helps!

Save the files- if you think you'll want this photos. They are all there, just waiting for the software you get that can read them....
The jpg quality- if you have a near perfect exposure and color balance is really good.
But- if you have to adjust them- make them brighter, change contrast to open shadows, adjust the color, it will degrade the image as you change and Re-save them as a jpg.
With a raw file it doesnt change the image at all when you adjust- it just changes the instructions in the file to your software on how the image should look when you Export it out to a JPG. No image degradation. And you can go back & Change the settings & export it out as often as you want without hurting the original file.

The Raw format-dng- has about 4 times the data to work with, can changes the White Balance completely after the fact, and has a huge amount of Dynamic range (detail from Highlights to Shadow) compared to a JPG.
Also in JPGs if your highlights are blown or even near blown- they are just gone the Raw file can bring back a lot of detail if there is any there at all.

Still with all that it's best to get the most accurate exposure you can when shooting.
I always use the 3 frame Auto bracket, And shoot raw for this reason they even if the meter is fooled by aight or dark scene, or if I misjudge the exposure due to how I see it on screen, usually one of those frames will be much closer to "Correct"

Shoot some tests and Experiment with the exposure settings & bring them into the computer & see if you are frequently under exposed, then adjust your exposure when shooting for brighter- or bring your Phone or tablet brightness down so you don't misjudge the brightness.
If they are more offer too bright-- then go the other way- or turn UP the brightness on screen so you see a closer idea of the "Correct" exposure.

I find on my iPad Mini that if my screen brightness is up all the way- which we often do outdoors- I tend to Underexpose my shots because they look too bright. Turn the brightness down to 50-60% and I judge them correctly.
Use a hood on the screen to try to use shade of a tree or your car to make it easier to see if possible.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik