Picture curve

Reaction score
Lots of my shots have a curved horizon to them not sure if this is the camera, the earth, or damage of the camera mount.

Any ideas? Is there a way to upgrade the camera to a higher.quality 4k as well? I don't want to spend the 3k on the inspire unless I have to.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420408522549.JPG
    uploadfromtaptalk1420408522549.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 511
That's called "fisheye". It's normal and you can remove it using a program like Adobe Lightroom.

No way to "upgrade" your camera.
The curvature is because the lens is a fisheye.
The horizon or any straight line will be curved unless it runs through the centre of the picture.
The further from centre, the bigger the curvature.
The curvature is easily removed in software

Phantom2_Duck said:
Lots of my shots have a curved horizon to them not sure if this is the camera, the earth, or damage of the camera mount.

Any ideas? Is there a way to upgrade the camera to a higher.quality 4k as well? I don't want to spend the 3k on the inspire unless I have to.
It's normal. It's the nature of the wide angle lens on the GoPros and Vision+ cameras. If you crank down the FOV you won't get so much barrel disortion, but you'll still get some. That lens distortion can be corrected on post using the lens correction filters in Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom.

Awesome thanks everyone I'll have to check that out.. more stuff I need to buy.. got an iPad and groundstation to get for mapped flights now photo software.. guess saving for the inspire 1 will have to wait.

Same image, uncorrected and corrected in Photoshop CS6. It's a one-button correction and there are already profiles in there for the DJI and GoPro cameras.

homeaerialss.jpg

homeaerialss%20corrected.jpg

It won't always help, but if you keep the horizon roughly centred the curve goes away or rather is often less noticeable depending on what you are recording..
Software can remove it but you lose a bit cropped from the edges.
For video you can try the narrow field of view at 1080p, and that is much less curved too.
The stills from it are always at the wide setting though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl