Picture breaking up in 50m with FPV set up

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd week of having my first Phantom 2 and I'm having a few early issues. I have a Phantom 2 FPV kit with Zenmuse gimbal, immersion Rc 600mw 5.8Ghz Video Transmitter, and Black Pearl 5.8Ghz 32 Channel Diversity 7" Monitor. I get a lot of picture break up and noise when the phantom is about 50m away or more. I was out in open fields away from obvious interference on each occasion when trying it. I spoke to the company who I got the kit from and they said this is normal. They did suggest trying different aerials but didnt give me the impression that I should be getting greater clear viewing distances on a regular basis. Is this right? I am very new to this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like you're 1 channel off on either the transmitter or receiver.
For example; some transmitters broadcast on 5740, but your monitor may only receiver 5745(non US frequency). I would run through the frequency channel selector on the monitor, and see which looks the cleanest.
Also, double check the frequency list on both the transmitter and receiver to make certain you can have the correct frequencies on both.

Some models only broadcast with the xxx5...and some are xxx0.
Are you going vertically, above your head? That's probably the poorest area for reception.
The only other solution would be to change both antenna's to Circular Polarizing Antenna's. Make certain you get the correct connectors(SMA have the little pin in the middle, RP-SMA have no pin, only a hole in the center).
Sometimes, the Transmitter only takes RP-SMA, and the receiver will take SMA. you can get an adapter.

Do a search of Circular Polarizing Antenna's, 5.8Ghz-and you'll find plenty of threads and information to help you.

I get over 700 meters and still have good video-using a TS-832 Transmitter, and a generic 7" "dual-diversity" antenna receiver.

I’m beginning to wonder if it’s a problem with this particular setup. I too have an ImmersionRC 600mw and Black Pearl Monitor and I am seeing the exact same thing. I’ve come across posts on here and other forums with others complaining about it too. Just to respond to the previous post about between frequencies, the Black Pearl can cover all of the current 5.8Ghz frequencies and I know it's receiving on the exact same one that the IRC is transmitting on.

I’ve just fitted Fat Shark / ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized SpiroNet Antennas to vTX & Black Pearl but have yet to fly and test them (the weather in the South West of the UK isn’t great at the moment!) to see if that makes a difference. I've had cheaper ones on up to now... lets see if spending more will help.

I have noticed that the Zenmuse seems to cause interference patterns on the screen and I wonder if this is part of the problem. I may have a look at rerouting the wires to avoid them all being in such close proximity.

I’d be interested to hear if others using the IRC 600mw and Black Pearl are seeing better results than this break up at 50m….

I'm not getting stellar reception but I have noticed two things (both of which the experienced people will probably say 'of course' ;-}).

1. Channel selection is a big deal. Some channels are very noisy and cause terrible break up. I have the TS832 and the Diversity Monitor (almost identical to Boscam, Black Pearl - this one has the brand name as the same as the internals). One channel up or down can mean total breakup or a nicer picture. It is best to test them and see which you want. The suggestion that the monitor might be one channel off could be the case with extreme break up at such a short range but just one channel off, I get horrendous video even five feet away.

2. The battery itself is a source of interference. I can run my hand across the battery face and the video will break up significantly more. I would suggest, in cases where interference is unacceptable, to move the antenna away from the front of the battery (angle it down, move it, etc).

I have a Phantom 2 FPV kit with Zenmuse gimbal, immersion Rc 600mw 5.8Ghz Video Transmitter, and Black Pearl 5.8Ghz 32 Channel Diversity 7" Monitor.

Interesting, I'm putting together the exact same system. Guess I'll find out...

I had this issue with the Lilliput 664w and the ImmersionRC 600mW. All channels had the same issue. There was reception but it got me about 50 to 150ft before the signal was pretty much useless. There's very little information out there on this but I did find one or two reports of the same nature. Swapped out the ImmersionRc 600mW for a FatShark 250mW and everything works as expected. I've only tested it to 1,500ft so far but it works very well. Also gained 1-2 minutes back flying time.

I think I'll try a Fatshark 250mw and see if that rectifies the problem. The ImmersionRC seems to be a common factor in a lot of posts I've read complaining about quality. I'll report back in a couple of days when I have tried it.

GhostMaster said:
tested 950m with good image.

That's a great spot for flying....

I am presuming that video is straight from the GoPro, not from the Black Pearl? Quality from the GoPro isn't in question..... its the video feed back to the Monitor that's questionable. :?

I'm interested in the Helical Antenna you are using though... how does it compare to just using a standard Cloverleaf / Spironet?

In response to the other posts on this thread. I purchased a KumbaCam FPV system, same monitor, the Black Pearl, with an immersionRC 600mw 5.8GHz Video TX, circular polarized TX/RX antenna's, Zenmuse H2-3D Gimbal, GoPro3, iOSD Mini, FPV Hub board, and newly installed DJI Step-Down Converter, or referred to by DJI "Interference Filter". I finally took my Phantom 2 up yesterday for the first time with the ImmersionRC Vid TX and exactly the same issue. First the video is horrible, cuts in an out regularly, as well as the GoPro acts really funky sometimes when it starts to record. It will cause breaks in the video roughly every 2 secs apart, then the video and time counter starts to skip on the GoPro and then stops recording. I have found using 1080 with FPS of 30 resolves that issue. As soon as I get to 50 meters EXACTLY, it goes from grainy video to complete snow. The RX & TX Frequencies match, I've double checked that more times than I care to count, I finally used a frequency counter and verified that.

I just purchased a Boscam TS832 Receiver & Transmitter and the Spiro Fatshark Antennas, everything I have been reading is that these work really well. What do I have to loose at this point.

On a side-note, the Zenmuse Gimbal is really a great piece of hardware in that it keeps the camera balanced, but only for that. I do firmly believe that DJI made this Gimbal in a really shady way to work with the GoPro3. The Gimbal basically shoves 12v / 5V down the throat of the GoPro's backpack connector port located on the back of the GoPro. If this wasn't the case, the GoPro wouldn't get so freaking HOT when the Phantom's master power is turned on. This is heat dissipation from incorrect voltages causing the GoPro to heat up. Really kinda disappointed in the overall DJI Phantom 2 product. The gimbal probably jacked up my GoPro3 with it's factory configuration which is BS.
If anyone has a better solution for NOT using the Zenmuse Gimbal on another Gimbal that still utilizes the Pan/Tilt function from the main controller please let me know.

goldfishrock said:
GhostMaster said:
tested 950m with good image.

That's a great spot for flying....

I am presuming that video is straight from the GoPro, not from the Black Pearl? Quality from the GoPro isn't in question..... its the video feed back to the Monitor that's questionable. :?

I'm interested in the Helical Antenna you are using though... how does it compare to just using a standard Cloverleaf / Spironet?

Helical Antennae make a huge difference. I am in an area where there is a lot of interference including power lines and trees. After upgrading to Circular Wireless Helical ... doubled my distance. I was also able to get crazy clear transmission from the phantom regardless of orientation when i switched to fpvlr.com RHCP 5.8 GHZ tx Pinwheel 90°plug that was long enough to extend below the zemuse gimbal.

Hate to ask since this has been addressed in many other threads but are you in NTSC or PAL on the BP? This can make all the difference. There's no reason a BP shouldn't work with the IRC unless its in that "other" frequency. Mine goes out to 2 miles and will go further, even with the Tx mounted inside and right beside the battery...
I don't believe a helical will help your problem until you can get at least 500m out of the stock rubber ducky antennas, then at least you will know things are operating correctly.

I have the same FPV setup and that is not normal at all.

First, make sure you are using a SMA connection antenna on the Vtx, NOT a RP-SMA which is used on the Black Pearl. The SMA connector has the male prong in the middle, the RP-SMA had no prong.

The Immersion has the best output on the default channel 5740, all switches in the ON position.
Douple check you are on the correct channel on the BP. Its band "F" I believe.

I get over 1000m with my setup.
If you bought an FPV package then I am supprised they sold you a 32CH BP as the 7 ch version is the best for that Vtx.

Tom

Thanks for your reply's. I currently have the cloverleaf RX/TX Antennas installed but I will have the Fatshark Spiro Antennas later this week. The video mode is in NTSC on both the BP & GoPro, although I have tried both in PAL (which works also, which is strange) but they are currently set in NTSC. I've got all of the connections routed through the FPV Hub mounted on the P2, I had originally thought maybe that board was bad & since then replaced it with another. I have replaced every piece of equipment except for the Gimbal & GoPro. My last option I haven't tried doing is doing a direct connect to the Phantoms Onboard Video/Pwr wires coming from the phantom itself. Although I'm pretty sure this will not resolve anything, since the FPV Hub is merely a port connector for the iosd mini, gimbal, power, and video TX. Not sure.

Is TX antenna a SMA and RX cloverleaf antenna a RP-SMA?

You did not indicate if you were sure they are the right type. If they came from the same box they probably are the same polarity and one is wrong. Do you have 2 antennas on the BP?

Tom

tom3holer said:
Is TX antenna a SMA and RX cloverleaf antenna a RP-SMA?

You did not indicate if you were sure they are the right type. If they came from the same box they probably are the same polarity and one is wrong. Do you have 2 antennas on the BP?

Tom

Thanks for the valuable inputs. Yes im using 2 Cloverleaf Antennas that came with the Black Pearl. Originally I left the TX freq on the default ch 7 on the immersionRC but since changed it to 5800 to try that & set the corresponding band to F on the BP. Same result.

I have had several of these Immersion Vtx's and they all were set to 5740 Switches all on as a default.
Also the output on 5740 is over 750mw, it is the highest of all the channels.

Again,does the antenna you are using for the Immersion have a pin in the center of the connector?

Tom

Just in case anyone didnt know this or does it already, please disregard. The phantom 2 - Zenmuse 3D-2D gimbal & the GoPro H3 need to be powered on in a precise manner. During my first week of getting everything going on my P2 I had massive issues, way more than I have now with my FPV video being clear. If you power the Phantom 2 up in this order your the FPV video will be really, & I mean really horrible.
DONT DO
1. Power Phantom 2 up
2. Turn your GoPro 3 ON.

CORRECT WAY
1. Power on the GoPro 3
2. Power on Phantom 2

I took my phantom 2 into a local dealer because I would power up the phantom, get cyrstal clear video, but then as soon as I took it outside and placed it on the ground and lifted off the video would just cut off. Nothing. I thought something was really screwed up with my phantom then the owner of the shop turned the gopro on then the phantom and the video cutoff never replicated. He said by powering on the phantom 1st then the gopro caused a conflict with the electrical voltages running to the gopro and then from the gopro to the gimbal.
Im hoping this helps some of you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues