Picked up P4 w/ extra battery for $800

Reaction score
So found a pretty good deal on Craigslist which I asked my friend. He said $800 for a Phantom 4 that never been used is pretty good, and mine comes with extra battery.

I was hoping to get one for $500 on Craigslist, but the only $500 ones were broken ones that crashed or had problems. There was one for $685 that sold pretty quickly, didn't have a chance to look at it. So my only option was the $800 that had an extra battery. Plus I thought this drone would be newer than the other guys too, and it was in pristine condition, like you can gift this thing.

Haven't flown it yet due to rain, but hoping to give it a try later today. Anything I should be aware of coming from a Phantom 3? Is it going to be much faster?

Reactions: GolfPro8888
Haven't flown it yet due to rain, but hoping to give it a try later today. Anything I should be aware of coming from a Phantom 3? Is it going to be much faster?

JetFalcon,

The Phantom 4 is slower in "P" mode (about 17-19 MPH), than a Phantom 3, not sure why it might have something to do with the Collision avoidance sensors on the front but I'm not sure. The Phantom 4 in sport mode is VERY Fast (45 MPH) or faster with a "Tail" wind.

The flight characteristics are pretty much the same.

John

JetFalcon,

The Phantom 4 is slower in "P" mode (about 17-19 MPH), than a Phantom 3, not sure why it might have something to do with the Collision avoidance sensors on the front but I'm not sure. The Phantom 4 in sport mode is VERY Fast (45 MPH) or faster with a "Tail" wind.

The flight characteristics are pretty much the same.

John

Will the sport mode crash in mid air or lose balance like if you make a hard turn? Or can you drift it around and make sudden turns just like the P3? Like if you were in an open field and you put the drone higher than all trees / buildings, and you let it rip, should it be fine?

I let my friend fly the P3 in circles and he likes driving it full speed like an RC car. The bad part is that he lowered the altitude, told him not to do that, and continued to go full speed and hit a tree. Just because he thought it wasn't good enough to be higher up and wanted to see it buzz lower. I don't even want him to know I have this P4 and know how fast it can go. I know he will love it, he will want to try it, and he probably is going to try something stupid again. I mean he never went to go buy his own, I know he likes it, I have no idea what's stopping him from buying a P3 Standard. The only drone he bought were those cheap Brookstone types for $100.

I would love to take the P4 to parties, but now I may only show few friends at a time where it's not a party environment.

Last edited:
Will the sport mode crash in mid air or lose balance like if you make a hard turn? Or can you drift it around and make sudden turns just like the P3? Like if you were in an open field and you put the drone higher than all trees / buildings, and you let it rip, should it be fine?

I would love to take the P4 to parties, but now I may only show few friends at a time where it's not a party environment.

JetFalcon,

The Phantom 4 is completely stabilized at all times. When in Sport Mode the Front Collision avoidance will NOT work. You can fly as Hard, Corner, Bank Corner, while Ascending or Descending without worrying about the P4 crashing, unless a careless operator does something STUPID (Flying into something). Be aware in Sport mode when you pitch as far as possible (Right Stick in mode 2) the P4 will lose one or two feet or so of altitude. I wouldn't take it to a party unless you have a lot of space to fly, you will also lose a few minutes of flight time from the maximum of 28 minutes.

Lastly, like all Phantom Copters, in all of the GPS modes, the Copter will stop and hover. When in Sports mode all the extra speed means the braking will NOT be as quick as in normal "P" mode.

I haven't taken my P4 Battery much past less than 30 percent before I land, I received it almost 2 weeks ago.

I read your other thread. I wouldn't let that friend anywhere near the P4 ;)

LoL, could the front collision thing have saved my drone if he was at full speed in the normal mode? It was night time, does the collision system detect in darkness?

LoL, could the front collision thing have saved my drone if he was at full speed in the normal mode? It was night time, does the collision system detect in darkness?
Probably not so much in the dark and he sounded bound and determined to wreck the P3, a true professional drone crasher :D

Probably not so much in the dark and he sounded bound and determined to wreck the P3, a true professional drone crasher :D

He was singing "George of the Jungle, watch out for that tree" because the drone was above a palm tree from our POV. Then 2 minutes later he lowers the drone and crashes it into the palm tree.

He was singing "George of the Jungle, watch out for that tree" because the drone was above a palm tree from our POV. Then 2 minutes later he lowers the drone and crashes it into the palm tree.
There must have been beer involved, is singing George of the Jungle the Floridian version of hold my beer and watch this? :D :D

Once the sun has set the forward Collison avoidance does not work. The camera need light to sense the possible collison. I learned this over the weekend when I was flying at dusk and a warning came up about the forward obistical avoidance not being operable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

JetFalcon,

The Phantom 4 is completely stabilized at all times. When in Sport Mode the Front Collision avoidance will NOT work. You can fly as Hard, Corner, Bank Corner, while Ascending or Descending without worrying about the P4 crashing, unless a careless operator does something STUPID (Flying into something). Be aware in Sport mode when you pitch as far as possible (Right Stick in mode 2) the P4 will lose one or two feet or so of altitude. I wouldn't take it to a party unless you have a lot of space to fly, you will also lose a few minutes of flight time from the maximum of 28 minutes.

Lastly, like all Phantom Copters, in all of the GPS modes, the Copter will stop and hover. When in Sports mode all the extra speed means the braking will NOT be as quick as in normal "P" mode.

I haven't taken my P4 Battery much past less than 30 percent before I land, I received it almost 2 weeks ago.

It can indeed lose stability in Sport mode.

Just this last weekend I was flying in winds around 10mph with some good gusts.

I was doing loops around a large park and turned too sharply at full speed and nearly flipped over, the drone turned almost sideways.

In a panic I released the throttle and luckily it stabilized and hovered without completely flipping over. I have no doubt if I had continued at 100% throttle and full left stick I would have rolled and crashed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31