Photos appear grainy and not as clear as I expected

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been playing around with my camera settings but have noticed most of the photos seem to be grainy or pixelated, which I thought was surprising. In this particular photo, my ISO setting is at 1600, which is high, but it was also quite sunny outside.

As I've read the through the forum I've had a difficult time determining if there is anything I can do aside from lowering the ISO setting to make these pictures have more clarity and less grain.

DJI Phantom 3 Professional

Any thoughts are appreciated.

[file][/file]

Attachments

• DJI_0027.JPG
    DJI_0027.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 541
Last edited:
I don't have a P3 but do know that your ISO will cause that grain for sure. Set your ISO to 100 or 200 and test. If you are in hover when taking pictures the shutter speed should be fast enough to not allow any blurring. Even if it is a little dark, an ISO of 400-800 should be fast enough to prevent grain. If you shoot raw it should be easy in post-processing to tweak the exposure.

Maybe another P3 owner will chime in with their experience.

ISO increases sensor sensitivity. You use high ISO when conditions get dark - not during the day. During the day, there is no reason why you should be using anything but ISO 100. Sometimes if there's lots of shadows or dark areas, ISO 200 and not much more than that.

ISO1600 is for night. And yes, it is grainy. The sensor in P3 camera is very small, like a cheap compact camera, and small cheap cameras with small cameras do not do well at night/high ISO situations. You will get grainy photos as you increase ISO. As such, you only use higher ISO if it is absolutely necessary, where "something grainy is better than nothing."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj