Photog's Dilemma - Vision or Gimble/GoPro?

Reaction score
Ok, I've been researching DSLRPro's and cannot decide between a Vision or a P2 gimble and GoPro.

My goal is high quality images and movies, the less editing the better. Based on reviews, it appears the Visions image quality is better (my opinion) and lends itself to more camera functional control while in flight. However, I don't want to use my iPhone for FPV and am thinking of a 7" monitor on the radio - am I giving up camera control if I make this move.

Any thoughts...

There are several "pads" both Apple and Android that would work, providing they are compatible with the DJI App. I am using my Nexus 5 and it is OK, though I too, would like a larger screen solution. So far nothing I have looked into has the brightness and compatibility I would like.

If you find anything I would appreciate a heads up.

I use the first gen Nexus 7 tablet. Works great. It's not approved so you will need to side load apk.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

If your iPhone has HDMI out then you can mirror the iPhone screen onto anything with an HDMI in... You could run a larger monitor on a tripod, for example, and still retain all the camera function using the app on the phone.

There are plenty of monitors out there that can run on a 12v supply for portability, ranging from small to not so small. Just one supplier I found as an example: http://www.lilliputdirect.com/hdmi/5-7-inch-hdmi

I went with the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal and GoPro Hero 3. The gimbal has roll correction which the Vision does not. I've not flown much but I've noticed my props coming into shot during fast movement or windy gusts, and all the while the picture stays level.

The Hero 3 allows some monitoring via an iPhone app but the range is poor, it only works within a stone's throw. I've not looked into a WiFi repeater to improve the range, but instead I'll go for an FPV LCD screen setup.

I'll also add that the GoPro app is excellent for setting up the Hero camera (ideally when the Phantom is on the ground), much easier than messing with those two switches on the Hero.

Ruzam said:
Ok, I've been researching DSLRPro's and cannot decide between a Vision or a P2 gimble and GoPro.

My goal is high quality images and movies, the less editing the better. Based on reviews, it appears the Visions image quality is better (my opinion) and lends itself to more camera functional control while in flight. However, I don't want to use my iPhone for FPV and am thinking of a 7" monitor on the radio - am I giving up camera control if I make this move.

Any thoughts...

If you want to produce high quality movies and images, the Zenmuse and GoPro are by far the best option. Shooting 2.7K30p Protune with a medium FOV using the 2D gimbal yields pretty amazing results. You have no control of the camera in flight but even at 2.7k resolution, your flight will be over before the card fills up.

Ruzam said:

Any thoughts...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it takes quite a bit of editing to get quality images and especially movies. Everything occurs in post, with good software. With that said the higher the image quality/data recorded, tends to yield the best results. 2.7k + protunes is the way to go, however initially viewing the footage outside an editor seems like the colors are washed out, but once corrections are added, it's a day/night difference. For down and dirty simple to edit, 1080 60fps medium view yields nice results.

GoPro has free software that does a reasonable job and for video's posted on youtube is more than good enough.

Oh, and it's a no brainer 2-axis gimbal over 1-axis is always better, heck now there are 3-axis available.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20