Photo help

Reaction score
I had my first 8X10 print made from my P2V+ camera. The print looks awesome but there is a large white border at the top and bottom. The folks who printed it (I actually tried 2 places) said it was because of the way the camera took the picture. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Do I need to change some settings?

It's not clear what the problem is.
They should be able to print the whole image but the original image was not the same format as 10x8 photo paper.
A P2V+ image is 4384 x 3288 so fullsize on 8x10, it should be about 10x7.5
Did they mean that?
If so, just trim it - or they should have.

Yes, the aspect ratio of the Phantom camera is different from the standard print sizes.

You need to crop the picture on your computer before you send it to the print place if you want it to fit the print size without the "white border".

Your drone doesn't take 8X10 pictures. Just divide the big number by the small number. So you get an aspect ratio of 1.25 for an 8x10 picture. Your drone takes pictures at 4384x3288 or a 1.33 aspect ratio.

Easy fix. Either you can zoom and crop your picture to a 1.25 aspect ratio or your printer can do it for you by zooming in a bit.

It's such a rookie error it makes me think you took your pic to Walmart? Any decent photography store can do this for you in a second.

Thanks all for the input, it is appreciated. Was it a rookie error? Well I have no doubt of that as I am an admitted abject rookie, lol. I didn't go to a photo shop but a printing shop so they may not have the needed expertise. I do not even own a photo editor but have been looking into them. I downloaded Gimp but it seems to have adware attached so I deleted the whole thing. I also do not at this point want to commit a year of monthly fees to get photoshop. Do any of you recommend any photo programs that also allow you to get rid of the fisheye effect? I have the SKRWT app on my phone and it seems to work well removing the fisheye but it would be a much smoother process if I could do it on my desktop pc.

paint.net works well and is free.
Gimp works (and I didn't get any adware with it).
You can usually find a version of Corel PaintShop Pro on Amazon for less that $50.
Photoshop Elements is less than $100.

Adobe Lightroom works well. It has a profile to remove the fisheye effect with a single click (most of the paid apps do).

Here's a video that shows how easy it is to do basic editing:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic