Phone overheating

Reaction score
Just got a p3s and on first flight my Samsung s7 phone overheated after about 6 minutes into the flight. Any ideas on what caused that?

Yes, the S7 has that issue, some even catch fire. It's a known issue with the Samsung S7.

I think Samsung did a recall on some batches of them.

I don't like Samsung brand, very unreliable with getting very hot easily.

My phones all do that. Just a question of the weather outside. Nice overcast day with slight wind will cool the phone down. Too much wind tho and the drone will have issues flying

I tried 2 Samsung phones and a Acer tablet. They all overheated and shut down. Am now waiting on an iPad Air. Hopefully that won't.

I have the iPad Air 2, in direct sunlight they will overheat. I always try to fly from a shaded area, all devices tend to get hot in direct sunlight. Also if you have a case on your S7, take it off, it just acts light an insulator keeping the heat in. Another thing you could do is to put a shade / hood on your device that will help.

Reactions: larrym
I can't help but wonder if unchecking the option to save a copy of the video on the mobile device might help. Dunno, just a hunch.

Thanks for the replies. I have a Samsung tablet that seems to be ok. I also have an iPad mini2 that I've seen some people use. I just don't like the iPad because it doesn't have a built in gps like all my Samsung devices have so you can't use some functions such as follow me or reset home point without gps.

larrym, I think you are correct that it's in the settings. I know other people that use the s7 with no problems. I'll have to check their settings when I see them again. I know it shouldn't be a problem since it's on dji list of devices to use.

Reactions: larrym
So much for the iPad mini2. After about 4 minutes of flight a message pops up and says CPU overload.

Man I use an IPad Air 2 and it never has over heated even when running through back to back batteries on the drone and it has been hot as he!! here.

Smokie, maybe it's the difference in the iPad mini 2 and the air 2. I did a search and the CPU overload seems to be common on the mini 2 since the latest dji firmware update. It sounds like I will need to roll back to a previous version of firmware for the phantom.

With the Pro and Adv - the cable connection basically starts charging the phone / tablet from the controller !!

The Std of course has no cable and then its down to 'workload' driving it hard. The more installed on the phone / tablet reducing working ROM / RAM - causes excessive paging in / out just like a PC ... this drives up workload and heat ...

Nigel

Nigel, what can I do to correct it? When I done a search the icu overload seems to have started after the last firmware update, prior to that it seems there wasn't a problem. It stated that the only known cure is to go back to an earlier firmware version. I've been flying drones for about 2 years but this is my first phantom so I'm still learning and would appreciate any help I can get. Also they say the galaxy s7 overheating started with the new android 7 update, prior to that the phone worked great.

I haven't had this issue, I use the S7 edge. Some apps definitely make the phone heat up, DJI Go hasn't been one of them. Check your battery usage, memory usage in your settings. It may be another app running in the back ground causing this.

Reactions: Philltayl
Thank you atmu for the reply. I'll check that and see if that's the problem. I was just going by what I read on some of the phantom forums and people were saying that started after the phone update from android 6 to 7. I've only had my phantom for about 2 weeks so I have no way of knowing if my s7 would have been ok running 6.

Nigel, what can I do to correct it? When I done a search the icu overload seems to have started after the last firmware update, prior to that it seems there wasn't a problem. It stated that the only known cure is to go back to an earlier firmware version. I've been flying drones for about 2 years but this is my first phantom so I'm still learning and would appreciate any help I can get. Also they say the galaxy s7 overheating started with the new android 7 update, prior to that the phone worked great.

I'm not good on solution to it I'm afraid - I only hear and remember reasons for it.

I have a Nexus 7 which is Googles Official Android built by ASUS ... latest official Android is 6.0x ... not the 3rd party 7.xx ... so I cannot help sorry.

Nigel

Another overheating s7 owner here checking in. Had an s6 that never shutdown, but a mishap and destroyed it. I then upgraded to an s7 which overheats constantly. Only had it 3 weeks but samsung is not standing behind it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic