Phoenix, AZ parks legal to fly in... Confused....

Reaction score
Okay so I looked up information on the parks here in Phoenix about where I can fly.. However, two of them are within the five mile range of the Deer Valley Airport (I didn't investigate others because I live in this general area). I have not received my drone yet but would like to understand whether I am allowed to fly there or not.. I don't understand how these parks could be okay to fly in when they are within five miles of an airport..

Parks and Recreation Radio-Controlled Aircraft in Phoenix Parks

If you look at these two parks, they are clearly within 5 miles of Deer Valley Airport..

Coyote Basin Park - 2730 E. Beardsley Rd.
Grover's Basin Park B - 17447 N. 20th St.

Is there something I am missing???

Two issues here. First, the city has said its okay to fly in their parks. That's a good thing too many cities are closing parks off to sUAS flying. Second issue is airspace which the city has no juristiction over ( even though many act like they do). Once you take off, you are in the National Airspace ((NAS) which is controlled by the FAA. Per their regulations, you as a hobby flier are supposed to contact the airport (control tower if there is one, airport manager if no tower) to let them know where and when you will be flying within 5 miles of the airport. You are informing them, not asking permission as directed by the FAA, although they may ask you not to fly if there is something going on that might conflict.

Reactions: SteveNPhx
Okay so I looked up information on the parks here in Phoenix about where I can fly.. However, two of them are within the five mile range of the Deer Valley Airport (I didn't investigate others because I live in this general area). I have not received my drone yet but would like to understand whether I am allowed to fly there or not.. I don't understand how these parks could be okay to fly in when they are within five miles of an airport..

Parks and Recreation Radio-Controlled Aircraft in Phoenix Parks

If you look at these two parks, they are clearly within 5 miles of Deer Valley Airport..

Coyote Basin Park - 2730 E. Beardsley Rd.
Grover's Basin Park B - 17447 N. 20th St.

Is there something I am missing???
Also, if I may assume that you are going to be hobby flying, don't forget to go on the FAA UAS webpage and register as a sUAS flier. You will get a registration number that you need to put on any of your birds. You can get all this info and register here Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Line 12 is the critical one. The bill doesn't say you can't fly near those things, just not as part of a criminal operation. Sounds like they would have to prove criminal intent before they could charge you for flying. Some thing I would as your representative about

Line 12 is the critical one. The bill doesn't say you can't fly near those things, just not as part of a criminal operation. Sounds like they would have to prove criminal intent before they could charge you for flying. Some thing I would as your representative about

True, but the key word is "furtherance" (i.e. "furtherance of any criminal offense") which is a gray area to a cop who does not know your intent. Often in still photography you can say you are shooting for fun and not for commercial use, but they cop may have other thoughts and not believe you and ask you to leave anyway. That or fight your day in court over the citation.

I suspect the way it reads, you'll be asked to leave any of the critical facilities they mention in the bill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers