Phatom landing pad

Reaction score
I looked at the helipads and landing pads available online and some of the things people are using to land their Phantoms on and decided to try to build my own. I was able to get a 24 inch square piece of birch veneer plywood and painted it with an an exterior latex in sunshine yellow paint. Painted both sides and the edges with two coats. At Michaels (crafts store) I found a masonite ring (not clue what it's used for) that just happened to have holes in it that are perfect for direction marks. I also bought a wooden 'H' a couple of isles over. Using black latex spray paint...masked the outside of the ring and sprayed the 'H'. Then at a local harware store I found some black and white checkered 2" duct (or Duck...not sure) tape. First one came out so well I made another and will make a third for a friend. Total cost for each pad comes to about $18. Now all I have to do is learn how to hit the pad when landing but so far no more lawn, tall weed and twig accidents like I used to have with my P2.
I was a little worried about how the checkered edges would affect the camera and was worried it would make the camera do weird things but no issues
DJI_0020.JPG
DJI_0024.JPG

Andrew

I looked at the helipads and landing pads available online and some of the things people are using to land their Phantoms on and decided to try to build my own. I was able to get a 24 inch square piece of birch veneer plywood and painted it with an an exterior latex in sunshine yellow paint. Painted both sides and the edges with two coats. At Michaels (crafts store) I found a masonite ring (not clue what it's used for) that just happened to have holes in it that are perfect for direction marks. I also bought a wooden 'H' a couple of isles over. Using black latex spray paint...masked the outside of the ring and sprayed the 'H'. Then at a local harware store I found some black and white checkered 2" duct (or Duck...not sure) tape. First one came out so well I made another and will make a third for a friend. Total cost for each pad comes to about $18. Now all I have to do is learn how to hit the pad when landing but so far no more lawn, tall weed and twig accidents like I used to have with my P2.
I was a little worried about how the checkered edges would affect the camera and was worried it would make the camera do weird things but no issuesView attachment 29034 View attachment 29033

Andrew
Great build! wish I had the energy to do it-- I will have to depend on my "store bought one":)

... looks "pro" all the way. What's next, flashing red LEDs at the corners and a mini wind sock ?!? : ^ )

Awesome...............Made this one the other day with some scraps I had. Fun..............Nice job on the Art work..........I could be a bit neater..............I never did color inside the lines well ! !

Attachments

• IMG_8254.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_8254.JPG.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 427
David :
-
... any landing you can walk away from is fine ! Smart, having those prop guards on ...
-
Fly well !

Awesome...............Made this one the other day with some scraps I had. Fun..............Nice job on the Art work..........I could be a bit neater..............I never did color inside the lines well ! !

What did you use to power the LEDs? 9v?

Dirby:
-
'Looks like your LZ would be good at keeping mud off the quad's feet, (like there would ever BE mud on those feet)!

Attachments

• WP_20150820_001.jpg
    WP_20150820_001.jpg
    784.2 KB · Views: 418
  • WP_20150820_006.jpg
    WP_20150820_006.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 446

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member