Phanton 2 Motor and ESC Replacement

Reaction score
Hi, i bought the Phanton 2 and on my second flight i lost the control of it and it started to return to the take off place. Unfortunally it landed on the wrong spot and crashed. After i recovered it and turned it on again one of the motors started to smell like smoke, so i turned it off.
The day after i tryed to turn it on again and everything was looking normal but when i turned the motors on the same one that was smelling like smoke wasnt functioning.
I looked online and found out that i could buy the motor online and did. After that i realized that the problem could be at the ESC also and i found the ESC at the same online store ibought the motor. For the motor i realized that there were 2 models, 1 for Clockwise and another for counter clockwise, but the ESC i could only find 1 model.
First i would like to know if there are different ESC for front and back or clockwise and counter clockwise. Second i would like to know from what i described what is the most likely part that i have to replace, the esc or the motor.
Here follows the esc i found online,

http://www.helipal.com/phantom2-vision- ... n-esc.html

if any on can give me any usefull information i would appreciate.

Thanks,

Hard to see from here if its your motor or the esc that went or both.

but as far parts do the phantom 2s and visions use the same esc's for front or back unlike the phantom 1s that need a green or a red led esp depending on if for front or back.

Motors that come in clockwise or counter clock wise. depending on what one you need to replace.
and depending on what direction you want any of the motors to spin is just a mater of the 2 out side wires being soldered to the two outside solder pads on the 3 solder pads on the esc's. If you have the center wire on the center pad and happen to get the other two out side ones reversed it will spin one way but if you flip them around they will spin the opposite direction.

Being able to tell if its the esc or the motor you can try and switch on of the other motors to that esc and see if it runs right If the esc is all good. if not then the esc is no good. and then you can try and hook the suspect motor up to the other esc and it don't spin then the motor is shot. Tho I would tend to think its the esc and not the motor unless some thing got in side and broke any of the delicate wires in the motors windings.

another way you can check you esc is if you happen to have a multi meter that can measher dc volts across any 2 of the 3 solder points that the motor hooks up to on the esc. and all combinations of the 3. Like center to one of the sides then the other then from 1 out side to the other outside point. with the motors running. will atleast give you a good idea some thing is not right if any of the 3 phases are not getting voltage or different from any of the others. If you have a multi meter that can tell you hertz you can also see what the frequency is on all the 3 phases of the motors connectors. they should be about some ware about 300-400 htz or so if all the other motors are at idle. and the Htz frequency will increase if you hit the throttle some. Tho only a digital multi meter will have a setting to measher hrz and even tho not all do. So that may not be some thing you can check.

oh and I forgot to mention if by any chance you get the wrong motor and its threaded the wrong direction then one you are replacing if its the same model and make of motor and have a way to get the tiny clip off the bottom you can just swap the outside bell housing and shaft from the bad motor over to the other.

Thank you very much for all those informations. I will by the ESC also. Its not expensive and that way ill be able to fix it no matter what the problem is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20