Phantom2 startup 4 lights blink then it shuts off

Reaction score
Hello,

I was in the middle of installing my an emmerson transmitter and osd mini on my P2. Following an online video, I tried to update the firmware on the osd mini and my p2 would initialize. I turn it on 4 quick lights blink then I can hear a little click noise and it turns off completely. I've visually checked all wire and even removed connections to the osd, video transmitter, and fpv hub with nothing changing, same 4 lights then nothing.
Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?
I've also tried 2 other batteries.
The p2 hasn't been flown in 3 weeks but worked fine on all previous flights and it's never been crashed.
Thanks for your help.

Re: Phantom2 startup 4 lights en shuts off

I had exactly the same failure on a new P2 out of the box a few weeks ago. It seemed that as soon as the ESCs attempted to pulse the motors (producing the startup tones) the battery detected an abnormal current draw and shut down. My assumption is that one of the ESCs was faulty, but I didn't try to isolate it. It too was battery independent, and I sent it back for replacement.

Does it make any sense at this would be an ESC when it was flying fine on its last flight?
I'm flying to Nicaragua tomorrow for a job and this phantom was going to be part of my kit, any suggestions out there on how I can diagnose what may be causing the problem. I won't be able to send it back, but I may be able to get parts sent to me.
Thanks.

Failures can happen any time. Any chance that you shorted out some wiring or connectors in the process of installing the FPV and iOSD? First you could check that there are no shorts in the wiring to, or on, the ESC boards. Then you could desolder each one in turn to see if the problem goes away, which would isolate the faulty board (or motor).

Thanks for the replies,
I tired to be careful on the installation, soldering away from components and the only sharp object I used was snips to remove the zip ties, so I don't believe I shorted anything.if the ESC board was damaged would the led' slight up?

Ryangodard said:
Thanks for the replies,
I tired to be careful on the installation, soldering away from components and the only sharp object I used was snips to remove the zip ties, so I don't believe I shorted anything.if the ESC board was damaged would the led' slight up?

Presumably the LED can still work, as it's on a different circuit. Mine all worked - at least for the first few flashes until it shut down.

Thanks Sar,

Didn't have to unsolder, just removed the connector to the ESC one at a time. Found the culprit, lights stay on as it goes through the startup/ audio sequence, then continued to beep. I plugged it back in and now it's seems to work fine? I don't want this to happen on location? Is there a fail safe in the ESC that I've reset by unplugging the board? Seems very odd that everything is fine now, although I'm very relieved that's it working :)

Ryangodard said:
Thanks Sar,

Didn't have to unsolder, just removed the connector to the ESC one at a time. Found the culprit, lights stay on as it goes through the startup/ audio sequence, then continued to beep. I plugged it back in and now it's seems to work fine? I don't want this to happen on location? Is there a fail safe in the ESC that I've reset by unplugging the board? Seems very odd that everything is fine now, although I'm very relieved that's it working :)

Not sure I'd trust it after that. I would at least unplug it and then plug it in again a few times to make sure that there is not a problem with the connector or cable. The risk is complete shut down in flight, so not something to take lightly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20