Phantom wont lift off the ground:(

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this forum or any forum relating to the phantom so hello to you all:) If anyone could help me I'd be so grateful!

I've been using and loving the phantom for some time now, I also have the Zenmuse H3 installed.

However after I upgraded the phantom to firmware 4.0.0 the heli won't seem to lift off the ground. Its as if theres only 50% of vertical throttle? All motors are spinning and the Zenmuse is still working ok it's just as if its in limp mode?

I have done the following several times!
Checked the lid is on correct to correspond with the correct way to put the propellors on. Let me stress that the lid and propellors are put on correct.
Calibrated the Receiver and all is working correct.
Calibrated the IMU
Using latest software 2.18
Test motors - all working and rotating and numbered correct.
Increased the gain to no effect.
Using Quad-rotor X as aircraft type.
Spent hours on google trying to find an answer to this problem:( most people put the lid on badly but I haven't:(

Someone On the web says it maybe a faulty transmitter?

What can I do?
It's under a year old so is it still under warranty I think?

I've never crashed the heli and its never had water damage or any type of damage!

It just wont lift off the ground after the firmware update.

Thanks in advance,
Spence

Make sure it's set to PPM (if it's an original Phantom) Also check to make sure prop rotation is correct - I know sounds stupid but it's happen to the best of them.

Just to confirm yes the transmitter is in ppm mode and yes the propellers and lid is on correct. Thanks for trying to fix this for me:)

After you updated the firmware on the NAZA, did you import the default Phantom settings from the DJI website? That should be done after the upgrade and before performing IMU + compass calibrations.

Hi oi, thanks for the reply, yes I defiantly uploaded the settings but can't remember if it was from old settings I exported or off the dji website? I can't remember as I did the update about a month ago and since then haven't flown it until
Today. I'll try to download it off the site? R they easy to
Find? Thanks

Hi again, I checked my download folder and found PHANTOM_Default_Configuration_Parameters.zip so yes I must have downloaded them off the DJI website:( I've got a slight memory of doing it.
I basically followed the instructions down to a tee, as they are a bit confusing.

Could it be a problem with the phantom or do you think its a parameter somewhere?

First apologize for my English is not as good, and I use the google traductode. Then let you know that I have had the same problem, and after breaking my head for weeks, change the station by a futaba and the problem was solved, not saying it's your case just happened to me and this was the solution.

Just thought of another thing that may/may not be of interest.
I followed the update and triple checked everything.
The first flight I found the throttle leaver was way out of calibration, I'd have to push the throttle way up to get it to do anything, ie spin slowly but never leaving the ground. When I checked via pluggin in the phantom to my computer sure enough the throttle leaver was out so I re calibrated it and thought this should work. All the dials are corresponding to the correct amounts now but it still doesn't lift off the ground. ARRRR

fsalleres said:
First apologize for my English is not as good, and I use the google traductode. Then let you know that I have had the same problem, and after breaking my head for weeks, change the station by a futaba and the problem was solved, not saying it's your case just happened to me and this was the solution.
Thanks Fsalleres, thats good to know, I may give this a try if I can't fix the problem? If I buy a futaba could I use one of the spare dials to control the zenmuse gimbals tilt?

Ta

I've just done a software update to 2.2
Main controller is now on 4.0.2
PMU 0.2.0.4

Follwed the instructions and uploaded the paramaters off DJI website. Also re-calibrated transmitter so taggles are all doing the correct stuff, still won't lift off the ground:(

I'm now beginning to think it's a faulty piece of hardware. I spoke to the shop where I bought the phantom and they told me make sure as they charge £60 an hour if it's not a warranty issue!

I can't think of anything else though?

Next to each channel input indicator in the NAZA assistant ("Basic" button, then "RC" tab), is there a button that says "REV" ? The throttle channel might have gotten reversed (the button next to it would then say "NORM"). This could also be tested by pushing the throttle stick down while the Phantom is on the ground for takeoff.

OK sorry guys your all probably getting sick of me:) any way I've fixed the problem at megga long last.

I went through everything again and had to calibrate everything 3 times or so. Very annoying that an update can cause this much trouble:/
If anyone has the same issues this is what I did!
upload the paramaters again off DJI website under the tools icon in naza software

I calibrated the transmitter manually like this
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... alibration

I then calibrated the transmitter using the naza software, the throttle stick was only half functioning so deffo need to do this.

Then I calibrated the imu about 3/4 times. My mod on acceleration was low 0.96 so I think this was the problem. After a few advanced calibrations its now gone to 1 and hay presto it works:)

One area of concern since I've added to zenmuse gimbal is that it always asks me to wait 10 mins before imu calibration os the system is too hot. Even if I wait I still seem to get this message, as if with all the extra stuff inside the phantom is making it over heat? Something to think about I suppose?

Anyway thanks for all your help:)

Glad you got it working!

The "FC too hot" message when doing a calibration is a known bug, you can click past it and run calibration again, it'll probably complete on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Thanks OI, that's what it must have been as I calibrated the imu about 3 times, glad it's a known bug as I thought my phantom was going to burst out in flames or something.

It's too dark to fly now so I'll give it a good flight tomorrow, although they have forecast a gale and heavy rain.

Cheers

Wow. I'm having exactly the same problem (phantom won't lift off the ground). I've spent some time calibrating the sticks, but still can't get any lift. I just noticed your post and saw your note about being low on acceleration (0.96). Where did you see this number? Are you referring to the channel monitor in the Basic tab? When it's centered I see 0 and see close to 1000 when full all the way up (or right). But they are not quite at 1000. Most of them are around 950. Is this my problem? Does the throttle really need to be above 950 to get lift? I'd be surprised, but I'm not ruling anything out at this point because I feel like I've thrown away almost $600 and put a lot of effort into this with nothing to show.

Hello Spen
I don't know if it's the same or not but once happened to me that it would never take off and actually it would pushdown really hard!

At that time it was a wrong assembly of the top-shell. so somehow when I opened before I haven't follow the right position assembling the upper top shell screwed to the main lower shell.

I just unscrew it all again, figured out which was the right position... and wollaaa!!! working perfect...

Hope it's the same and you can find it out!!!!

That's what happened to me as well. The arrows on the shell were showing the opposite direction of the true motors which I figured out by testing the motors through the software. I just moved my blades around rather than removing and rotating the shell.

hoops129 said:
That's what happened to me as well. The arrows on the shell were showing the opposite direction of the true motors which I figured out by testing the motors through the software. I just moved my blades around rather than removing and rotating the shell.

You might want to re-think your "moving the props" - the orientation of GPS is going to be way off

Thanks for all your help guys! Phantom works like a dream:)

For me it was the imu. I needed to calibrate it about 3/4 times. My mod on acceleration was low 0.96 so this was the problem (needs to be 0.98 and higher).

I wish all this update thing and updating the zenmuse was way easier. I use a Mac so also need to go over to my parents house to use a PC everytime an update comes out. For such a big company not to have a mac osx version is crazy. Also all the known bugs. Common DJI sort yourself out!

I'm having the same exact problem. please tell me this is as simple as reversing the props and I'll be lifting off again!! someone please help this is my source of income and I'm on the verge of just buying another one if it won't fly soon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.