Phantom WON'T detect satellites, GPS issue.

Reaction score
So I just bought my new Phantom 2 on Thursday, got my firmware updated and everything. Everything is calibrated (IMU, Compass, etc).
Only problem is that I am not able to connect to the satellites. I've tried indoors, outdoors in the open, tried the magnet and compass trick, still no luck.
I changed it to the NAZA-M mode, and I get one green flash, 3 red flashes, which indicates there are less than 5 satellites connected.

I've popped open the top shell to see if the wire was properly connected, everything is A-OK. No matter how long I leave it sitting there outside, either 30 seconds or 30 minutes, it just won't detect any satellites. I'm guessing it's either a faulty GPS module or a cracked antenna? It is brand new, and I have not had any crashes with the Phantom. It hasn't even flown once yet.

I even removed the gimbal+GoPro to make sure that the GoPro wasn't emitting Wi-Fi which could cause interference with the GPS module. Still no luck.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

Thanks guys!

Possibly a stupid question so dont be too harsh with a response but is the switch on the controller set to gps and the other set to off ? Is the gps switch working ?

Prophecies said:
tried the magnet and compass trick, still no luck.

All that is going to do is mess up your compass, not fix a GPS issue, looks like your gonna have to open the lid and manually check the condition of the GPS unit, it isnt hard to do, just take it easy and make notes, then when its open unplug the cable, then remove the sticky covering carefully and check the module itself.

ive just had my plug work loose resulting in 4 minutes of the quad spinning in the air before returning to home,

Yes, the controller is on GPS mode, and the switch is indeed working. I've made sure it works by checking it out in the Assistant. The IMU is calibrated, it detects when I switch from GPS Atti, and Atti mode.

I've already opened up the top lid to make sure it was plugged in, but I have not removed the sticky lid. I guess I'll try that.

Any other suggestions?

Prophecies said:
Yes, the controller is on GPS mode, and the switch is indeed working. I've made sure it works by checking it out in the Assistant. The IMU is calibrated, it detects when I switch from GPS Atti, and Atti mode.

I've already opened up the top lid to make sure it was plugged in, but I have not removed the sticky lid. I guess I'll try that.

Any other suggestions?

Is it possible that you're in a no fly zone of a local airport? Use the following link to check if you are in a no fly zone.
http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

I used to have this problem and I thought I plugged it in backwards. The morons at DJI should have designed it with a clip. You can see on the main board, they have accommodated for it, but took the lazy path on the GPS end.
The suspect is the 4 pin connector from the GPS to the main board. I got some tape and wrapped 2 layers around it. Now it sits firmly.

Oh, and while your at it, do the foil mod. Its not life or death, but it just guarantees that your GPS don't get any influences by the H33d/Gopro electromagnetic interference. The upgraded Vision Ver3 has copper shielding all the way down to the arms.

Here is the fix...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912

So I got it fixed. I opened the top shell, and removed the stock shield pad to check and see if the antenna was perhaps damaged before I even got it. Sure enough, it was in flawless condition. So what I did was I took the GPS able leading to the MC, and I passed it through UNDER the shield so that the cable itself is shielded as well, it is long enough to reach the MC still, so that was fine. As soon as I powered it on, I still got the 1 green, 3 red lights. I was at a loss and discouraged.
While I was searching for another fix online, I noticed that the light pattern changed from 1 green, 2 reds. Ecstatic, I ran outside as fast as I could to get a clear signal. Sure enough, within minutes, I got continuous green flashes.

Could not be happier.

Thanks for the help guys!

Glad you got it sorted , moving the cable was something I did one day after getting my vision, I'm lucky in that the areas I've flown I've always had 9-12 sats

It would be worth doing the 4mm antenna upgrade. If you are that close to going in and out of lock the higher db gain makes a very solid difference. I started as you did , then foil and then antenna on both my Vplus and standard phantom2. I get a lock about as fast as wifi takes to setup , 25-40 seconds.
about $6 shipped from digikey.
I feel a lot more confident seeing 9,10,11 in the air now.

Prophecies said:
I'm assuming living in a very forested area will give satellites a hard time to connect as well?

No really. I have not had any problem under a forest canopy getting GPS lock.

Interesting. Well I don't have any issues connecting anymore, but since I don't have an FPV setup and the iOSD mini, I don't have a way to see how many satellites it is connected to - yet.

I am having the same issue. I am curious Prophecies when you do initiate Compass Calibration mode are you succeeding in both horizontal and vertical calibration? My indicator lights do not disappear after horizontal and vertical calibration but instead just flash yellow. The Phantom is not indicating a calibration failure just flashing yellow leading me to believe it has something to do with the satellites as well. I am curious if you are having some of the same side effects?

Also I made sure there were satellites in my area by visiting the link below. I would suggest you head over there to check as well.

Check for satellites in your area here: ‪http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com

I am also having some sat reception issues, now I am one to open the phantom cover many times, installed Flytrex cables into the GPS port a few times, and I opened the top case today to see whats going on with my GPS connection. Like most I figured I needed the bigger and better GPS receiver.

While looking at the plug that goes into the GPS port of the main board, I noticed that the connector has lots of play in it.

I placed a piece of electrical tape on one side of the plug and re-inserted it into the GPS port, not much play now.

I also wrapped the plug and port with a piece of electrical tape so it is rock solid now.

I put the phantom back together and Wallah! within 1 minute I had all green flashes and no red flashes.

So before you guys go out and upgrade the GPS unit, take a close look at the play you may have in the GPS port of the mainboard.

My GPS PLAN iOS app said there are 8 sats available, and my Phantom picked up 7 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.PNG
    IMG_2450.PNG
    174.4 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_2449.PNG
    IMG_2449.PNG
    318.4 KB · Views: 964
Ok, since my last post here, did some reading and for the $7, I ordered one of the 4mm antennas. Installation was easy and super fast GPS lock. I did use a dremel to shave down some of the extra plastic where the antenna sits.

This is good to know! I have not had any issues connecting to satellites since my own fix. But I might just buy the 4mm antenna so that I'll be prepared the day GPS issues decide to show up. It's a cheap backup plan.

Thanks for your updates, much appreciated!

Sometimes it's the satellites themselves, solar interference or other electromagnetic interference.

When my Phantom has trouble locking satellites, first thing I do is get out my Garmin GPS and check how many satellites it can lock. Usually, the Garmin can lock 1 or 2 more than the Phantom.
So I just subtract at least one from the Garmin's count to get the number of satellites available at that place and time.

Before you tear the Phantom apart looking for problems, use an alternate source to check the number of satellites actually available.

If the Garmin says low satellite count or weak signal...I do not fly in GPS mode. Only ATTI mode.

All that is going to do is mess up your compass, not fix a GPS issue, looks like your gonna have to open the lid and manually check the condition of the GPS unit, it isnt hard to do, just take it easy and make notes, then when its open unplug the cable, then remove the sticky covering carefully and check the module itself.

ive just had my plug work loose resulting in 4 minutes of the quad spinning in the air before returning to home,
I knowthis post is old but im having issues with a gps lock.ive fead and checked and done everthing except cover the wifi modual. My satie has the double layer all cables are insulated even the cameras th ran flytrex core 1. I did notice some play were the gps pluged into the board had some play i addressed tbat too. I couldnt find away to post on the phone except a reply so sorry im putying it all on you but you seam to know something. Ive built this brand new piece by piece. Vision plus. I have the static compass that shows goog 1600 1700 mod..after a long wait and rais it up in gps flying like atti 50 feet or so cause of a stock 5,8 antenna detached itselffrom a repair. I have gotten over 5 sats. Ive also picked up the same on the ground a little more frequent in the air. I wish you coulf send a text or domething jason jax fl 32043
904 5140188

I knowthis post is old but im having issues with a gps lock.ive fead and checked and done everthing except cover the wifi modual. My satie has the double layer all cables are insulated even the cameras th ran flytrex core 1. I did notice some play were the gps pluged into the board had some play i addressed tbat too. I couldnt find away to post on the phone except a reply so sorry im putying it all on you but you seam to know something. Ive built this brand new piece by piece. Vision plus. I have the static compass that shows goog 1600 1700 mod..after a long wait and rais it up in gps flying like atti 50 feet or so cause of a stock 5,8 antenna detached itselffrom a repair. I have gotten over 5 sats. Ive also picked up the same on the ground a little more frequent in the air. I wish you coulf send a text or domething jason jax fl 32043
904 5140188

Vision Plus is notorious for losing sats. Try hovering 100ft up and stop starting the video. If you lose sats when recording then try the foil mod and tucking the cable under the shield.
Another issue could be a cracked antenna puck. A cracked antenna can still pick up sats, it usually picks up less and takes longer.
And finally, where are you getting the 1600-1700 compass mod values - outside or indoors? It should sit 1500 outdoors in an open grassy field.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj