Phantom with GoPro Wi-Fi and Futaba T8J

Reaction score
Query regarding using the Wi-Fi on a GoPro with a Futaba T8J on a Phantom
Has anyone had any experience with this? Success?
I know well that DJI explicitly state not to use the Wi-Fi with a Phantom.
This though is with their radio.

Can anyone give clear a scientific answer backed up by data whether it is possible or not?
I understand the issue regarding same frequency etc.
Just because the same carrier frequency I am wondering if still possible given the Futaba is a more 'secure' radio.
It works after all for multiple radios at an airfield for example on same carrier frequency.
Is it an issue of the camera cloaking the Rx, as it's a TX next to an RX, so the TX is obviously stronger than the incoming signal to the RX
Thanks.

Since both are sharing 2.4ghz band then the gopro which is transmitting at the same strength no matter how far away from the futaba radio this will reduce range. The GoPro wife is useless for FPV due to very short range and lag but if your flying within this distance its unlikely to cause you any issues. Though flying inside 30m or so that the wife video range is good for and dealing with its lag you get no benefit over flying los.

If you go further then the wifi is doing nothing other then causing interference and weakening your radio's signal and shortening the battery life on the GoPro.

There are very little benefits to doing this and lots of negative but you can do as you like no matter what others think. If the worst happens and it somehow locks out the signal and fails to respond to the controller you will also likely be down a phantom and gopro so is it really worth doing. :?:

I flew my Phantom with the WiFi turned on back before DJI and others started warning people about it.
I imagine things would be a bit safer with the Futaba, but I still won't risk it, and have learned to control my GoPro the old fashioned way.

Even tho I'm somewhat confident it's "somewhat" safe, I wouldn't try it unless someone with test equipment could prove that it was 100% safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik