Phantom with Futaba T8FG super

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

From India. I went through the first 10-15 pages of the forum and many web links, youtubes, dji websites and many forums, and they were quite informative. Although I am getting stuck at some critical junctures. The nearest DJI or my dealer whom i bought from are thousands of miles away. I am new to this RC Flying. The Dealer dslrpros are an amazing bunch of people but can't keep harrowing them for silly questions. Hope someone who owns a Futaba T8FG Super with the DJI Phantom can answer me these questions.

Before I get to the Questions, I flew the Phantom in Attitude mode (really stupid for a new beginner) as I was just not getting GPS lock because of buildings and lake around in a condominium society, and i got disorientated so many times almost losing it plus i crashed into a tree with the carbon fibre props, so i have removed those, removed my zenmuse, go pro and went with the phantom , phantom props, and prop guards and been flying around without crashes but almost lost it somewhere among the buildings till it came back and then i said to myself; no more flying till i understand what i am doing. Today, I got the GPS lock when i went to the 31st floor today after a week, but didn't fly it today. The date is Nov 11th of which I got the GPS Lock.

Going few days back, On Nov 3rd, In Attitude mode, i kept my Futaba (SE- Programed as GPS Att, Att, & Fail Safe Mode) with (SA- IOC OFF, CL, HL) and after reviewing the DJI vids over and over again, when i advance the throttle to 50% without touching the A/E controls it would take off and just bank or turn in a direction different from where the Nose was pointing. It shouldn't be doing that as i am just advancing throttles. So calibration was required, I did the Basic, advance calibration and then compass calibration and all were within values as per video. So I took off and then realized that its not that Easy in attitude mode.

1. So DJI uploaded their new software assistant software Naza-M Assistant Software v2.20 with Version 4.02. I should have read that quite a lot actually wait, before they update their phantoms, but I had already updated it by then. Now the Default configuration files for the phantom Tx that comes with the zip file, I did import that and since then went flying with the Futaba. I think I went wrong NOT to have uploaded the file?? How do Futaba users calibrate their Tx after DJI Updates their firmwares.

- Now do I have to Import that into the tool as I own a Futaba or is it meant only for DJI Phantom Transmitters. Because since uploading that, I would keep getting GPS Calibrate or after doing the compass calibration, the continuous red lights, as my compass (Raw) mod values were 350, so i use a magnet and it got amped up to 7000, which of course is bad so degaussing it back to 1800-2000 value was quite a task.

- I notice that after adv calb, when i power cycle it, i get red and yellow so i do the normal calibration ( inside my house, as i have no intention of flying it yet) and it would then be normal (3 flashes for Gr and 3 Flashes for Red - as it is searching for GPS lock but wont find it as it is indoors). Then, when i would move the phantom near a laptop or any metallic magnet, the phantom lights would go to Red and Yellow and then when moving it away from all these objects back to hunting for GPS lock Led lights. Is this Normal?

- Okay How do i calibrate my Futaba transmitter because as i move the Ail and Elev, the value on the NAZA Assistant would be Zero or sometimes Aileron = +5, and Ele = +2. So it says i need to center my controls and re-program it in the Futaba software. How do you do that with the Sensor Touch and any videos to it would help so that I can learn how to re-calibrate my transmitter, because i feel this small error may be causing the phantom to lift off and turn in a direction without me touching the Ail or Elev. After seeing the DJI Colin first pre flight video, the phantom of theirs just lift off to eye level and then the pilot can learn how to turn the phantom or use ailerons or elevators and get the hang of it. In my case, thats not happening, it just seems to keep flying high up and bank in a direction without any command inputs.

Am i going wrong somewhere - so quick review again-

Issue: Phantom takes off in attitude mode, with throttles advancing 50% and it should climb to eye level height without advancing any more throttle and not keep climbing and then yaws, turns without any input from the Transmitter in a direction different from which the nose is pointing.

1. I downloaded the latest firmware, upgraded my MC - Phantom, Calibrated my Transmitter ( will need an expert although to guide me on this), uploaded the default config settings for phantom ( i think that was not right for the Futaba), did gaussing and then degauss for the mod values for the compass (raw) as it was way off before bringing it back to 2000 and while I am writing this, as my phantom is connected to it, if i move it else where in the room, the mod compass (raw) shoots. So, is this normal??

2. How does one calibrate the Futaba Transmitter to show exact Zero values on the NAZA assistant. When i move the ailerons and elevators, it centers to Zero and on some occasion, +3 or +5 on the ailerons and +2 or +3 on the elevators. I need to know where to go - Is it the SYS or LNK or MDL or S1 or RTN page on the Futaba and what menu?

3. Is flying much easier in GPS Lock, as i understand the CL and HL (after going through many user videos) but yet to try it. I don't want to lose the phantom or get disorientated so i wont be touching Att Mode at all for now.

4. If one is in an open field and full GPS lock, and lets say before airborne I manually record the CL and HL (HL being fly the phantom to 10m away from where I am standing in the same direction as CL and then push the CL and HL button 3-5 times to record the HL), IF the Phantom loses GPS lock thereafter, the manual says it goes to Attitude mode, does that mean if i cannot see the nose or which way its pointing, I am screwed or should i go to CL which is (SA) on the Futaba as CL works in GPS or ATT mode and HL only works in GPS mode and does the Phantom knows it Course Lock Original position so that if i push the elevators back ward, it actually comes backward and not depend on which way the nose is pointing??

5. I have not uploaded the Profiles for Futaba as it was already done by DSLRPROS in the Ultimate Kit Edition. I realized that it does not take more than 2GB SD card to update the slow motion pan motion new update in the Futaba. Is that weird not taking a higher capacity card?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,218
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,302
Thanks for the business! Now, on to your questions:

1. Are you sure you're on the right transmitter mode? (Basic tab > RC) The transmitter type should be DBUS. On that same tab, you should be able to run a calibration of the sticks. If that doesn't work, you can always use the trim buttons on the futaba to make sure they all line up to zero.

2. It is normal to get the red/yellow flashes if you move the compass towards a metal object, as it will change the value the compass sees, and invoke a failsafe.

3. Fly in GPS lock as much as you can until you feel comfortable. Fly in a large field, away from any interference (wifi and so on) and with as little wind as possible. Remember, the indicator light is the rear of the craft!

4. If you do become disorentated, the homelock function is your friend. As long as the phantom has recorded its home location (20 fast blinks after GPS lock) This mode will work wonders.

5. Certain microcontrollers (CPU chips) can only use a certain filetype. Without really delving into it, 2GB is the highest you can go with the futaba.

Hope that helps!

-Mike K

IS this MIKE from DSLRPROS - R&D ?

DSLRPROS ROCKS !! From Initial Point of Contact to Sales and After Customer Service - ROCKS !!!

Could you email me on inbox your contact so I could get in touch with ya on skype. There is a lot more Questions so i may contact support and go through more in detail on skype, but its always better knowing someone more who deals with R&D.

Pass me regards to Venu, Robert & Derek.

Mike,

Yes, D Bus it is. It also gives you that hint when you scroll your mouse right over the Receiver type and it tells you Futaba for D bus.

- Do i load the Phantom Default Configuration Parameters that it tells you to update or import when upgrading the new NAZA Firmware for the Futaba??

- WIthout GPS Lock and after having done all calibrations, in Att mode, on takeoff and keeping power between 50-55%, the phantom does not hold height neither it hovers at the same position - what should i do? Is the DJI props not balanced causing the yaw/turn, is it the calibration values i posted (image), is it the wind that blows it away which does in attitude mode.

- I am yet to try GPS Lock and CL and HL and take off with hover as the preflight video of colin shows it hovering in GPS Lock mode.If its not in GPS lock mode, does the phantom has a tendency to keep gaining height just like it does in the turn where if you leave the controls while turning, it will keep flying unlike GPS lock where it holds its position??

- DSLRPROS - when they sent the Futaba, i am sure they must have uploaded the files for the Ultimate Kit Edition. There is a fluid pan motion firmware released a week or two back. I would just have to put the 2GB SD card and follow the process right?

If you need (somewhat) faster help, email [email protected].

1. Yes, you want to import the default parameters when you upgrade the NAZA firmware.

2. Attitude mode does just that; it holds the attitude of the craft. (it keeps it from flipping over) It WILL NOT stay in a position when in attitude mode, that's up to you to control it. GPS mode keeps it within a 2m sphere (position and altitude)

3. See above, GPS mode keeps it in one place.

4. Yes, there are instructions on our website on how to upload profiles to the futaba.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj