Phantom, water, getterback, instability

Reaction score
Question for you all,
I ordered a Getterback for my Phantom after seeing some information on here and getting really nervous everytime I fly over water. I installed it on one of the legs yesterday (it weighs next to nothing) and flew the Phantom. It behaved really strangely. It would hover for a couple of seconds and then it would just fly sideways and backwards for a large distance without trying to correct. It would not stay in one spot for more than a couple of seconds before veering sideways. I landed the Phantom, shut it off, removed the Getterback, then flew it again. It hovered perfectly, not issues or weird behavior. So I am really confused because I know that people have attached all kinds of cameras and other FPV setups to the Phantom and it flies just fine, so why would the Getterback cause such instability?

cgreer00 said:
Question for you all,
I ordered a Getterback for my Phantom after seeing some information on here and getting really nervous everytime I fly over water. I installed it on one of the legs yesterday (it weighs next to nothing) and flew the Phantom. It behaved really strangely. It would hover for a couple of seconds and then it would just fly sideways and backwards for a large distance without trying to correct. It would not stay in one spot for more than a couple of seconds before veering sideways. I landed the Phantom, shut it off, removed the Getterback, then flew it again. It hovered perfectly, not issues or weird behavior. So I am really confused because I know that people have attached all kinds of cameras and other FPV setups to the Phantom and it flies just fine, so why would the Getterback cause such instability?

What is a "Getterback"? Sounds like it should be called a " MakeItGoAway" instead!

ianwood said:
cgreer00 said:
Question for you all,

What is a "Getterback"? Sounds like it should be called a " MakeItGoAway" instead!

A tiny float that deploys if the Phantom is unfortunate enough to crash in water. Makes it possible to recover everything after it sinks to the bottom of the lake/river/ocean. I have seen others talk about using them and nobody said anything about it causing issues with the Phantom not hovering correctly.

Got it. Sounds like it's too close to the compass. If it's got metal in it, keep it away from the compass. And recalibrate compass every time you add or remove something.

I had it installed on the back left leg using the velcro strap that it comes with. Should I try a different leg? I always recalibrate the compass when I change locations for flight.

I slapped one of those on my v1.1.1 last weekend and burned through four batteries without any issues. I mounted it on the side with the antennas.

One thing to be careful with - make sure it's not on too tight. If the buoy is binding on anything, it's possible that it won't be able to release properly when submerged. I used the velcro, but found it wasn't tight enough - so I used a ziptie to make sure it wouldn't flop around in flight.

Attachments

• phantom.jpg
    phantom.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 769

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31