Phantom vs phantom 2 vision

Reaction score
I am a first time drone user and I have a question about the two models. I am looking to get this for aerial photography. Is the phantom with a go pro 3 with FPV better than the phantom 2 vision? I am trying to figure out which system will give me the best photo quality and FPV view. Any advice or help on this matter would be great.

Thanks

I currently have all 3 versions of Phantoms. Mostly to make the same sort of decision I suppose your trying to make; what's the "best" for what I want to do. That really is the toughest question; What do YOU want to be able to do?

If I was an occasional video guy who wasn't to handy and wanted a lot less stress with a simple easy out of box experience: Vision is great. Works, just add batteries. The video is decent and so long as you understand that it is a SINGLE AXIS gimbal your fine. The ability to see what your shooting is AWESOME!

Personally, the video from a gopro hero3+ black is (IMHO) better than a Vision, but both are pretty darn good. I use both. What absolutely CLOSES the deal on which is better? The Gimbal. DJI really screwed up with the Vision by making it a single axis gimbal. When you turn or tilt right/left so does your camera. Seems minor, it is not for smooth video. If you've never had two axis perhaps you won't care. If you don't have a Hero3+ (older hero cameras not as good as Vision), the answer is really easy; Vision.

Just a thought: The Phantom 1 is great, stable and cheap platform. You can do everything on it that you can do with any other phantom (just add $$s) Vision included.

The real differences IMHO, that I see so far between the V1 to V2 are: props, batteries and agility. Yes there is a host of smaller nice features (like flashing arms when batter getting too low.. very nice vs the blink light. )

If I was NEW to Quads I'd probably stick with the V1 as the options are good, prices and battery costs will continue to drop as DJI attempts to drive their new V2. You can make as good an FPV w V1 as a V2 except batteries will shorten your play time.

So why do I have three? Because I had to prove it to myself and evidently Santa was good to me (he seems to have more money than brains at times..)

Personally, I'll end up with moving to the V2 platform because I find the advanced features more useful to me and I want to do more FPV type work and the V1's batteries will be a limiting factor for me.

On amazon they offer this deal for 869 Dji Phantom 2 Ready to Fly Quadcopter - With Zenmuse H3-2D Camera Gimbal. If all I have to do is upgrade to FPV, would this be the best way to go?

Dukeofthebakery said:
On amazon they offer this deal for 869 Dji Phantom 2 Ready to Fly Quadcopter - With Zenmuse H3-2D Camera Gimbal. If all I have to do is upgrade to FPV, would this be the best way to go?

That's where I'd start if I were you. However, you can also get the Phantom 2 with no gimbal ($650-699 I think), and add some other gimbal, there's a number of other options. But the Zenmuse is obviously designed to work specifically with the Phantom.

Adding FPV is relatively cheap and easy, regardless of what gimbal you choose, and there's numerous choices there as well.

Just be careful when buying through Amazon and pay attention to what vendor actually fulfills the order...there's been reports of people having issues returning units that aren't shipped by official DJI dealers.

If I am doing pure FPV - hands down Phantom 2. To get a Zenmuse gimbal for 200. is a steal. I have tried about 5 different gimbals ($80 - $240) and nothing beats the Zenmuse. I'd get it and truly if your just flying FPV no camera shots then take it off and fly with the standard gopro with Jello mount. Put the Gimbal back on when you need it.

I'd run out and get the DJI Christmas deal for Ground station, IOSD, BT & Hub for 229. Again another steam of a deal. Several vendors are still selling them. That is what I ordered.

Lastly, I ordered up the AVL58 TX/RX - I am a little unsure on this decision because Boscom sells a very reliable and dependable solution for 1/2 the price. I have not seen anyone do a head to head comparison of 5.8GHZ with the AVl58 - I'd love to see it. My "guess" is that the real bang for the buck is the antennas.

That's my 2 cents.. Your mileage may vary...

I don't understand the point about the dual axis gimbal.

All the videos I've seen with two axis gimble, the landing gear and/or props are in the picture. If I want to pan left or right I rotate/turn the Phantom V that way (left control). Simple. No landing gear or props in the picture and no tilt.

Am I missing something?

Can't speak to the props in the picture that typically is due to someone throwing the quad into a tight turn. I don't generally run into those issues. The smoothness and preciseness of a 2 axis gimbal is hugely different than a single. I'd also add that at least where I live, I typically have a constant breeze which with a single axis shows up as bouncing around. Again up to what you want to do. I do a lot of video and photos. I will probably change my perspective as I get deeper into FPV. Though, the big reason for FPV for me is to see and set my video up more easily... So it depends.

Hope it helps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj