Phantom vs 550

Reaction score
Ditched my phantom in the sea a while ago (don't ask) - about to replace it.

Just wondering about reduced flight times when the phantom gets loaded up with FPV gear, GoPro, gimbal, tracking device, T8J receiver etc. Wondering would it not just be better to go for a 550 instead (they're not that much dearer really)?

Any thoughts?

CBS

Very different animal. The Phantom is light and agile. The F550 is more stable.

Its a thought I think many have had/are having. I know if i go past the Phantom it will be something like the f550. If you crunch the numbers you should get more flight time but don't think it will be a huge leap. The stock f550 comes with the Phantom's motors and there are of course more of them so battery drain is increased. You can up the motor size and prop size but again be wary of this as bigger motors and larger props will not always mean longer flight times.

Overall though from the number crunching on a spreadsheet that I did a while back you will get better flight times yes... but its maybe 10 mins MAX over the Phantom. This is all theory... not practice. I am sure a few f550 owners in here will pop up and may well tell me I am talking out of my *** :lol:

I played around with a 550 last weekend and I must admit, I was pretty impressed.
Seems it would be more stable but not as easily transported.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edunwody said:
I played around with a 550 last weekend and I must admit, I was pretty impressed.
Seems it would be more stable but not as easily transported.

Agreed. My 550 is stable but not as fun to fly and a real problem to transport :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4