Phantom vision vs vision+

Reaction score
Hello,

Forgive me if this has been discussed already, and if it has can you please direct me to the post? (I have done a search and went back many pages on this forum).

Currently, the vision can be had for $799 while the vision+ is $1099. Is the extra 300 worth it? I realize I get a gimbal and an increase in range, but could I just mod down the line to essential get the same camera/range performance as the vision+? Is the video on the vision+ really that much better?

Any thoughts? 799 seems like a great deal for the vision.

Best

With the Vision, you can upgrade the wifi receiver from an RE500 to a RE700 (like the Vision +). You will get further fpv range than stock.

You can also add a 3rd party gimbal. There's quite a few of us that have added a 2-axis gimbal. This again puts more quality to pictures and obviously video.

Doing both of these will add a lot more money to the cost of the Vision, so with this in mind you may as well get the Vision + which shouldnt need any upgrades. Once you get the hang of flying you could upgrade the anttenas on both camera and transmitter to give you further distance.

The only downside to the Plus is that it doesnt like crashes - the gimbal is a bit flimsy.

Ive upgraded my Vision with the 2 above and added an extra £430 (approx $650) on top of the original price.

Oh, and welcome aboard :)

Excellent! Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Is the video with your custom gimbal on the vision as smooth (stabilized) as the stock vision+?

To be honest, Ive only had one flight with it, but I noticed a big improvement. Ive had the gimbal about a month or so and due to having an elderly moment (damaged my Vision) and the weather I havent had many chances to fly.

If you have a look on Youtube, and search for both versions of the Vision, you will see that an upgraded gimbal of the Vision will compete with the Plus (if that makes sense? :))

Ive just done a quick search.

This is with the Rotorpixel Gimbal (the one I have). This is taken from the makers website.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5W8LNYmk8[/youtube]

VS a Vision Plus

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJGPt8XJYs[/youtube]

Dont forget that the Vision + has an extra axis so it will be a touch more smoother.

The videos look very comparable. Given the $1099 price tag is tough for me to swallow, I may opt for the vision and at a later date upgrade the gimbal. Can you keep us updated on your thoughts with the upgrade once you've had a few more flights? Thanks so much for the help!

Your welcome.

Dont worry, there will be more people on here at some point with opinions of their gimbal upgrade :)

The Vision is a nice machine, and highly customable.

Also have a look at peoples signatures, and it will tell you what upgrades they have done.

And when you have time on your hands, have a look through the videos forum on what these machines can do

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12610

I was in the same boat as you originally. I wanted a Phantom, but I wasn't sure if I was going to fall in love with the hobby and, for that reason, I couldn't stomach the price of the +. (My wife would agree that one of my hobbies is collecting hobbies :) )

Anyway, I went with the regular vision and once I was sure I was going to stick with it the first thing I did was invest in a Rotorpixel gimbal. As you can see in YouTube videos, there is just no comparison between video with and without a gimbal. As was mentioned above, just that upgrade alone takes you over the price of the plus. I will likely also make a range extender upgrade as well.

So, I guess my recommendation would be 1) if you are sure you are going to stick with it and 2) you plan to shoot a lot of video, then go with the plus otherwise go with the regular vision.

Plus has...

3 Axis Gimbal
Camera dial on the controller
motors with 25% more thrust
Increased pitch in propellers
Rechargable extender and controller

The increased motor thrust and increase in propeller thrust means you get more thrust with no reduction in power or flight time. Yes, you could add all of this latter but I suspect the cost would be more than $300. For me, the benefit of the 3 axis gimbal made it an easy choice. It's a huge difference.

On a lesser note, it's nice to be able to plug the controller and extender into a USB port to recharge.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic