phantom Vision+ v h3-3d with go pro and use with pix4d

Reaction score
Hi folks, newbie here so go easy!

I am intrigued with the potential use of drones for a couple of projects I am looking at. I've decided to go for a phantom but not decided on whether to go with the vision plus or the h3-3d with go pro. I'll be using it for surveying purposes (once passed necessary courses) and to render into 3d images and CAD. I like the simplicity of going for the vision but also the flexibility of being able to use a gopro for other uses.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which set up would be easier for using with a package such as pix4d? Or any suggestions for alternatives to pix4d?

Thank you for reading and any suggestions!

Hello!

I am a developper of Pix4Dmapper Capture (http://pix4d.com/pix4dmapper-app/), which allows you to take pictures autonomously and then feed them into Pix4Dmapper Desktop for the mapping and 3D models.

If you want to use our App for planning the mission and taking the pictures, then you need the Vision+, because the App cannot control the GoPro. For surveying using a Phantom, that is the best choice.

Now, if you really want the h3-3d with GoPro, you can still set up the GoPro to take one picture every few seconds, fly manually, and then feed those images to Pix4Dmapper Desktop, but it will be more difficult to get a good reconstruction (it is not so easy to take a good set of images for reconstruction, which is why we created the App).

JonasPix4D, could your app control a GoPro if installed along with the Quickrelease?

I am not sure, but apparently with the Quickrelease you only get the video stream on the DJI Vision App. To take pictures, they say that you have to use the "smart remote".

So I would say that the App will not be able to take pictures, and therefore that might prevent it from doing anything useful at all. Also, we don't support the Quickrelease.

Therefore, I stick to my first answer. The original Vision 2+ is the safest bet for surveying purposes ;-).

If you want to make higher quality 3d models, I suggest using Agisoft Photoscan and a decent camera. Popular choices amongst my customers are the Canon S100, Sony Rx-100 & Ricoh GR. I appreciate where Pix4D is trying to go with this, but they're hamstrung by the hardware that DJI has made accessible to them.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_9xwHbNOB4[/youtube]

It is not my role here to compare Pix4Dmapper to Agisoft Photoscan, and I will just correct "MonsieurAnon", because I do not agree with him:

• Pix4Dmapper (the Desktop Software) is not constrained to any hardware. It simply takes images as an input, may they come from a Canon 6D, a mobile phone, a GoPro, or whatever device taking images ;-). Of course, the higher the resolution, the better.
  • Pix4Dmapper Capture is a free mobile App that we developed in order to help people acquire images for a good reconstruction using a DJI drone. This App currently supports the Phantom Vision 2(+) drones.
  • Pix4Dmapper (the Desktop Software), in its Discovery license, is free for everybody. The only restriction is that you cannot export the results, but you can create videos directly from the software.

Now, when it comes to the comparison between Pix4Dmapper and Photoscan, you can try both and share your opinion. We always love reviews!

JonasPix4D said:
Hello!

I am a developper of Pix4Dmapper Capture (http://pix4d.com/pix4dmapper-app/), which allows you to take pictures autonomously and then feed them into Pix4Dmapper Desktop for the mapping and 3D models.

If you want to use our App for planning the mission and taking the pictures, then you need the Vision+, because the App cannot control the GoPro. For surveying using a Phantom, that is the best choice.

Now, if you really want the h3-3d with GoPro, you can still set up the GoPro to take one picture every few seconds, fly manually, and then feed those images to Pix4Dmapper Desktop, but it will be more difficult to get a good reconstruction (it is not so easy to take a good set of images for reconstruction, which is why we created the App).

Instead of flying manually, could you use the Ground Station app to create your mission? Also I thought pix4d uses Gps data to help construct the 3d image? How does pix4d know where each pic was taken?

Of course you can. Pix4Dmapper requires images, that's all. The only risk is not being able to reconstruct anything at all if you take pictures in a bad way.

If you have the GPS location of the images, it helps the reconstruction. For instance, the App (Pix4Dmapper Capture) writes the geolocation in the EXIF data of the images.

We have many webinars and tutorials on our Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/pix4dsoftware and on our support website: https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us

Why do we use Photoscan? Well it was and is the best image processing that I have seen for local use (not cloud based). We started using it because we had some associates in the US Federal Government that are long time photogrammetry experts and they use it for their work and they do some amazing stuff with it.

Agisoft is a Russian company, and has an endorsement from the US government.

The key differences for any of you on this forum are 3 fold:

Photoscan produces better results, if used properly. You produce those results on your own computers, which requires resources but provides privacy. You cannot use Pix4D's ground station app.

MonsieurAnon said:
Photoscan produces better results, if used properly.
That is unfounded.

You produce those results on your own computers, which requires resources but provides privacy.
Pix4Dmapper is mainly used on Desktop computers (i.e. clients produce results on their own computers). We also have a Cloud, for those who want to use it.

You cannot use Pix4D's ground station app.
Actually, you can use pictures taken by Pix4Dmapper Capture freely.

That is unfounded.

I take the US Government as a more serious source than this statement.

Pix4Dmapper is mainly used on Desktop computers (i.e. clients produce results on their own computers).

Ok. I just assumed this was another cloud only service since that's all I'd seen advertised.

That's great! Now can we get access to it with cameras that are suited for photogrammetry?

JonasPix4D said:
I am not sure, but apparently with the Quickrelease you only get the video stream on the DJI Vision App. To take pictures, they say that you have to use the "smart remote".

So I would say that the App will not be able to take pictures, and therefore that might prevent it from doing anything useful at all. Also, we don't support the Quickrelease.

Therefore, I stick to my first answer. The original Vision 2+ is the safest bet for surveying purposes ;-).

Ok..
So lets assume if you have a Phantom Vision Plus Hybrid with the H33D gopro..
If pix4d just need pics, then can't you just set the GoPro to 2-5 second interval photos and let the Phantom just do its Pix4D mission?

MonsieurAnon said:
That is unfounded.

I take the US Government as a more serious source than this statement.

I will not go into that kind of debate.

MonsieurAnon said:
Pix4Dmapper is mainly used on Desktop computers (i.e. clients produce results on their own computers).

Ok. I just assumed this was another cloud only service since that's all I'd seen advertised.

Ok. Then if you want to compare both softwares, I invite you to test Pix4Dmapper (for free) as well ;-).

MonsieurAnon said:

That's great! Now can we get access to it with cameras that are suited for photogrammetry?

Pix4Dmapper Capture is an App that uses DJI's SDK to help people using their DJI drone to easily acquire good images of an area. As of now, the SDK is only compatible with the Phantom Vision 2 and 2+, and it will be compatible with the Inspire1. Therefore, Pix4Dmapper Capture (the App) is limited to the drones that can be controlled by DJI's SDK.

Pix4Dmapper Desktop Software is a software that takes images as an input and produces 3D models and maps. It is independant of any hardware. It requires images that can be taken with the cameras of your choice.

Mako79 said:
If pix4d just need pics, then can't you just set the GoPro to 2-5 second interval photos and let the Phantom just do its Pix4D mission?
Unfortunately, no. The Phantom 2 drones are not compatible with the SDK, so we can't control them at all.

No no.. i have a hybrid vision plus with h33d and gopro 3. I use the dji app and have 2 way communications. As far as i am concerned, pix4d controls the way point and takes pictures. If i let it do its mission and set interval stills then it should work...

I'll try it this weekend.

Sorry, I had missed the hybrid thing =). In this case, I don't know how it will behave, but it is worth giving it a shot.

Give us news when you try!

I have semi good news for the hybrid system..
I wont know till tonight as my work lappy doesn't cut the mustard. Pix4d requires heaps of resources, especially for 50+ photos..

Ok..
Firstly, I could not do a grid mission. Came up with the SD card error. It is understandable as the vision+ can no longer speak to the camera+gimbal. It wouldn't let me take off.
PIX4D%20no%20mem%20card%20error.png

I used the free flight option and took random 60 pics. It looks like it works but needs some heavy processing.
I will have to wait when I get home to process it with an i7 and 8g ram PC (the desktops at my work are just number crunchers).

Is there anyway we can ignore the SD error and start mission? I would like it to do its own automated flight and have the phantom+gopro take interval photos.

Thanks heaps!!

using 60 non-geotagged gopro images to process..

Pix4d%20Render.png

Still in progress

Update...

This app is powerfull!!!!

Screenshot%202015-01-20%2019.32.19.png

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member