phantom vision or phantom 2 ?

Reaction score
Hi to everyone. New to the forum and looking for some advice.

After reading info on the Web I'm not sure which phantom to go for. The new phantom 2 or pv 2.

lots of info saying original phantom had interference problems due to tx being 2.4ghz?

If this is the case would the phantom 2 have the same issues or would it be better to go for pv 2 as it's 5.8ghz

if it's not that much of an issue, given the choice which would be better p2 with gimbal and gopro or pv 2.

any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

if you're looking for the longest flights with the most stable video - Phantom 2 with Gimbal all the way.

there's no interference issue. they just switched to controlling the craft with 5.8 so that they could use Wifi/2.4ghz to send the video signal to a smart phone.

The answer you're looking for depends on what you're looking for in terms of pure video quality and stability versus a ready to fly out of the box quad with great fpv and on screen display.

You are paying a bit of a premium for the vision but it really is a great FPV experience right out of the box. You have full radar with on screen display and telemetry in your iOS or android device. The 5.8ghz tx gives you a better chance of an interference free flight tho you may have an drop out of the WiFi for the video if you're in a congested WiFi area. You can always reconnect while you're still I'm the air should that happen. The vision camera is good quality and comparable in many ways to the gopro depending what version gopro.

Going with the Phantom 2 Pro combo with Zenmuse H32D gimbal and the higher end Go Pro 3 Black edition will give you a much more stable video recording platform than the Vision and slightly sharper video with higher fps recording and free gopro studio software to remove the "fishey" effect without having to invest in additional software. If you want FPV with both recording and an on screen display equivelant to the vision you're going to have to get your hands dirty and put that together yourself and you're looking at adding at least another $400 above what the price of a phantom vision costs. For that you will have a higher quality more stable video experience and much greater fpv range than the vision.

Bottom line. If you want a great out of the box quad copter with a really nice but slightly shorter range fpv go with the Phantom 2 Vision. Its worth noting you can change the antennas on the visions transmitter and repeater to extend range.

On the other hand if you are looking for a more stable video platform and don't care about the FPV or don't mind adding your own setup at a much higher overall cost then go with the Phantom 2 Pro Zenmuse gimbal combo.

Agree with Ben. In addition to what was already said, your intended end use of the Phantom will help in the decision of whether to go with the Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision. On dronesetc we sell a lot of Visions to Real Estate Agents. They are mostly using the Vision for still photography and they love the fact that you get a fully functional FPV quad right out of the box that can deliver professional quality aerial shots of their listings. IMHO if you are more interested in capturing amazing, smooth, beautiful video and that is your main use of the Phantom then I would say that you would be much happier with a GoPro+Zenmuse combo on the new Phantom 2. The super stable and smooth video that you get from the Zenmuse is just in a different league than the Vision. Again, however as was mentioned previously, in order to get the Phantom 2 fully functional as a aerial video platform you are looking at nearly doubling the original price for the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse after you add wireless video capability and a GoPro Hero3.

I see where bendronepilot said you can change antennas and extend range for vision connection of wifi . how much does that give you ?? also if you are in an area with zero cell phone service does the vision FVP even work ??

tbaker said:
I see where bendronepilot said you can change antennas and extend range for vision connection of wifi . how much does that give you ?? also if you are in an area with zero cell phone service does the vision FVP even work ??

The vision FPV do not depend upon Cell Phone communication, it works on Wifi, and pair between Camera and wifi extender and phone.
Phantom Vision is not designed to fly 1 km due to 5.8 GHz radio,

If you really think to fly long range then Phantom 2 + H3-2D is the good choice.

For $ 350 you can add FPV and $70 you can add OSD.

thanks
Nabil Riaz
http://multirotorheli.ca

Best place to buy Multirotors

Thanks for the replies and advice, ordered pv2 today. Fingers crossed I made the right choice.

Cheers

I'm in the same boat and I'm steering toward the 2 with gimbal because I need smooth video and I have a gopro3 black. However I wondering……………….does anyone think within the next 2-3 months DJI will be offering the Vision with their factory camera AND an installed gimbal?

tbaker said:

There's a pretty long thread on here about wife repeater antenna mods. I've heard of people reporting back that they have gotten well over 3,000 feet away with only adding a improved 14 DBI directional WiFi antenna by TPLink without even changing the transmitted antenna for the control. At least one person said the furtherest they got with the mod with out changing the control antenna was around 550 meters.

Your results will vary of course depending on location and interference. You could certainly change out the antenna on the transmitter as well as using a WiFi antenna signal booster to increase actual power output. Anyway there are options a plenty and when you out grow the built in range capabilities that's always something you can explore.

BenDronePilot said:
tbaker said:

There's a pretty long thread on here about wife repeater antenna mods. I've heard of people reporting back that they have gotten well over 3,000 feet away with only adding a improved 14 DBI directional WiFi antenna by TPLink without even changing the transmitted antenna for the control. At least one person said the furtherest they got with the mod with out changing the control antenna was around 550 meters.

Your results will vary of course depending on location and interference. You could certainly change out the antenna on the transmitter as well as using a WiFi antenna signal booster to increase actual power output. Anyway there are options a plenty and when you out grow the built in range capabilities that's always something you can explore.

I have read the thread on increasing the wifi range but Im still a bit confused about the whole thing( its all new to me ) dont wont to mod anything, Im unable to workout if it has been done just with a external wifi repeater without the mods.

didnt want to post question in that thread.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31